How do I know ?

Asked by Oct 21, 2007 at 04:39 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus SVT 2 Dr STD Hatchback

I purchased a 02 SVT today and found out after going to the Brake dealer, that he says it is not a SVT - but a fake.  What can I do ?  dougcarnell@mac.com

42,575

Take it back to the person you bought it from and ask them about it. Or you can call a Ford dealer and see if the VIN shows the SVT option code.

35

the motor should have a badge that says powered by svt right on the rocker cover. many people put the front and rear facias on a reg zx3.

35

The problem with looking at the Rocker cover is it can be thrown on there as well, the only real way to know is to look at the VIN# and have it verified. My question is this, does it have the full interior of an SVT??

45

Not a damn thing....if it doesnt have a P39 code in the VIN, its just a fake...does it have rear disks?

1,045

File a complaint with the BBB. Complain to the dealer, contact your local news people. Nothing I can't stand more than stupid salespeople. Make their life hell. In the future I'd recommend getting a VIN report. The dealer should provide you with one, but spending the $25 for 1 month of CARFAX usage is definitely worth it.

3,375

If the your paperwork says that you purchased an SVT and it's not, in my state, they would be guilty of Deceptive Business Practices, which is one step below a felony. Talk to the seller, and get your money back, and buy a real SVT somewhere else. If they don't want to cooperate, get a lawyer.

45

The best way to know if your car is an SVT is to call the Ford Performance Group and give them your VIN. This applies to all SVT models (not just the Focus) as well as a number of other non-SVT performance cars like the Shelby GT500, Ford GT, etc. You can also get your car's build number if it does turn out to be an SVT. 1-800-FORD-788