Ford Focus Battery light on (Dim), even when OFF

Asked by Sep 24, 2013 at 09:30 PM about the 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

Hi, I just recently bought a used Ford Focus 2006 sedan. I started the car after 1 day and it started immediately without any issues. The dash lights went out but, the Battery light kept on very faintly lit, not like it goes on when you turn the switch on.I kept the car running thinking that it might need charge or something, but, it remained faintly lit.When I switched the car off the it is still on (again very very dim), I was like HUH!!As you can see from the above question, that I know about cars as much as my grandma :) Can anyone suggest anything, I am not good with cars and this just spooked me.Thanks

87,055

Have the charging system checked out, you may have a diode in the alternator getting ready to go bad.

5,480

Check all the connection and all so see if the alt is puting out the right voltage and amps required. The diodes could be bad and feeding back. But it would be cheaper to replace the alt than the diodes unless you know some body that rebuilds alts

Thank you so much guys for the reply. Just a quick question, I really don't want to spend anything on the car right now as am in school for the next 8-9 months. What would be the worst case scenario in this situation, can the car be up and running? Off course at some point if the alternator dies altogether that would be another story. I'll check out the connections, and will take it to someone to get the alternator checked, as for me I am useless when it comes to car repairs :(

Hi I went to the repair shop. They checked the alternator and the guy said it is charging fine. Then he tested the battery and said that it will need to be changed. When I inquired about the light being faintly on even when the car is switched off, they had no clue about it and said may be the battery replacement would get that fixed :( Anyways, I told them I will get back to them. What do you guys suggest. Thanks

5,480

Well this is 2013 so your battery is old if original. You need a bat any ways so I would start there.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it does make sense..... Have a check up on Sat and will give it a go.

Just an update. Went to one repair shop and they checked everything, switched battery with a one that they had light remained on, no change. Checked Alternator, everything fine. Then they told me that I should check with an car electric repair shop. Anyways, went to one of the best (here), they went over everything again, checked battery under load etc etc... They told me that Alternator is charging fine, the battery is accepting the charge and everything is good. No issues. As for the light it might be something within the instrument cluster, and that would have to be scanned by Ford folks. They did say to me if it is not draining battery (which it is not), I should just let it run as such. Ford repair is gonna be steep and probably not worth as the car is cheap. Kinda confuse as what to do :(

10

I had the same issue and found corrosion builds up on the back of the instrument cluster. You can find detailed instructions online. Remove the cluster and back cover, then wipe down the circuit board with a clean rag and WD40 or similar.