2006 ford focus 2-4 overdrive/intermediate band??

10

Asked by Oct 27, 2016 at 12:49 AM about the 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 S

I have a 2006 zx4 focus and 2nd and 4th and od are out.
After all the research it seems as if the 2-4 nand needs
replaced as everyone says it fixes their problems.  Only
problem for me is no auto part store seems to think one
exists.  And also if i find one i will have no way of knowing
how to relace it since nobody ever gets into detail other
than saying "IT WORKED!!" Any help would be much
appreciated. Thank you.

86,905

That kind of job is something a novice should not even attempt, I believe the bands are part of a transmission overhaul kit and are not sold separately, the reasoning here is, if your that far in the tranny you might as well overhaul it. So unless your a tranny expert don't tear into it, leave it to the pros.

10

Tennisshoes... ive actually read that you can replace the band without even going into the transmission. Unlucky for me all the threads are so many years old so nobody will respond so i was hoping to get some clarification on it. Maybe youre thinking about a different band?

10

Its just simply the band that helps the shifting for 2nd and 4th gears. Im definitely a noob but from what ive read its a pretty simple job that many noobs have done themselves and saved a lot of money. I definitely dont have the money to have it done in a shop

86,905

I looked up the kit and the 4F27E has a large band and from what I can tell you can't get to it without a disassembly, possibly they are talking about something other than the band, maybe the band actuator solenoid or shift solenoids, those you can get too without a tear down.

10

I FOUND IT! yeah you were definitely thinking of something else but thank you for your response and for trying to help. Here are the instructions incase someone else is having a hard of a time finding them and by the way you have to buy from a ford dealership and it is called INTERMEDIATE BAND. some people call it the 2-4 or overdrive band but they will have no idea what youre looking for if you call it that. I wish there was a video but these are pretty good instructions. To remove: - Disconnect Battery and remove it ( 10mm nuts) - Three bolts on the battery tray. Two in the bottom and one on the firewall side. Remove all three and take out the tray. - Loosen the lug nuts on the driver side tire - Jack up that car high enough to get the driver side tire off the ground and you can get under the car to remove the lower mount bolt. Put a jack stand under the driver side now too. - Remove the driver side tire - Remove the driver side wheel well cover. A number of plastic screw inserts that you slowly unscrew the head, then grab with pliers and pull straight out. The front bottom of the well cover has one bolt, and one real screw too. - Remove the single - horizontal bolt in the lower trans mount. See pic 4. - put a jack under the engine/trans to hold it from dropping. - remove the 5 nuts under where the battery box was that are all part of the top engine mount plate. - see pic 3 Now, lower the jack and the engine/trans will drop about an inch and a half on the driver side. Looking in through the driver wheelwell you will see the end cover on the transmission - see pic 1 - remove the trans cooler line from the front of the end plate (17mm) - remove the bolts from the end plate. I had to remove the very top one with a closed-end wrench reaching down from the top. All the others I could get to with a short socket. - put a drain pan under the end of the trans ( very little will drain though) - pry the trans end plate straight out until it is free, once free pull out slightly the bottom at an angle and then dropping it down. Make sure when you have the cover out that there is no shim or bearing stuck to the end of the center hub that could fall off and get lost. You can then see the Reverse Cluth Drum and the Intermediate/Overdrive Band goes around it. Looking through the wheelwell, the upper left of the housing ( about 11 oclock) there is a bolt coming down through the top of the housing that makes contact with the upper end of the band. Unscrew that bolt a number of turns to release the upper band end. Pic 2 shows the drum after I removed the band. The band will then pull straight out towards you. Make sure you soak the new band in trans fluis for about 30 minutes prior to installing. Put the new band in and screw the anchor bolt back down ( pic 5) Reverse this order to button back up. ( cover back on, trans cooler line, etc.)

46,985

Good luck but I think you will rue the day you try that one.

10

Full_of_regrets ...why do you think that?