2002 ford focus

Asked by Jul 16, 2016 at 09:00 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon

When i try to start my car it seems
like it is trying to start but its
dragging real slow to start . what is
making it do this i had gotten a new
battery and new starter but its not
starting oil is good and everything.
Please help me

21,120

Sounds like the timing belt is missing a few teeth.

100

So when you turn the key on and try to start the vehicle is it your starter cranking real slow?

100

If it's the starter cranking slow and it's new you might have alot of resistance or have to check the starter relay there's quite a few things that can be wrong like a ground.

Best Answer Mark helpful

When i took the starter up to autozone they tested it and said it was good . will it still pass the test if the relay is messed up ?

I got the starter replaced yesterday and it started up and ran for about a hour then when i turned it off it wouldnt start back up it was dragging like the battery was losing power

The wire was smoking and everything

100

Oh umm.. well that's not good but is your battery new or a couple years old?

100

If your wires are smoking there is alot of resistance somewhere causing the wires to heat up.

They tested the battery but i did get it from a salvage yard and they tested it too and said that it was good

100

Your battery might be to old if you test the voltage of your battery and it's around or below 9.5v there will not be enough power to crank the starter over.

So if i get the wires replaced would that work ?

100

I don't think so it might end up burning thoes wires also let me look up a couple things real quick and I'll get back to you

Ok well i will try to get a new battery to see if that works but autozone tested the battery and said it was fully charged

Ok thank uuu so much

Because even the guy i am paying to fix the car is puzzled

100

If the battery is fine seems to me that you might have a bad connection to the ground or that there may be an open in the ignition switch,or in the starter circuit wiring or the neutral saftey switch on the transmission linkage. There are many problems that can be from your issue. Being that you have a new starter I doubt it's a bad solenoid if you have corrosion on any of your connections you'll want to clean them off. I'm sorry if none of this helps you but I'm trying to think of as many issues that can be the cause of this.

What is a open in the ignition switch

100

Like a short in the ignitor switch

100

Or a bad connection to say it simply

Would the egr valve make it do that (turn slow)

Or the ignition switch ?

100

The EGR valve would not cause this but yes if there is sonething faulty in the ignition switch this could make the starter turn slow. But I read but I decided to look up some stuff about this and I still think it may be your battery because according to this article I was reading it says that if your battery earth is bad when you check the voltage of your battery it'll test as all good until it is under a load or if your trying to crank the engine which brings me to the point I was saying before I don't know if you have a volt meter but with the key in on position your going to want to touch the housing of the starter with your positive lead (red) and the negative terminal of the battery with the negative lead it'll probably tell you 12.5v or something around there but then you need someone to crank the engine for you and if the voltage on the meter drops to or below 9.5v that is your problem.

100

Or if you don't have one ask the guy your trying to have fix it to do a voltage drop test with the starter.