car starts and idles but wants to die if press gas

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 05:48 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus SE

I have a 02 Ford focus 2.0 sp single cam the car will start and idle fine but if you give it
gas it will sputter and try to die but you let off I will Rev up some and then idle fine again
I have replaced fuel and air filter spark plugs etc... and still does it please any
suggestions ????????

yes. take a look at your EGR valve (smog control device). this one introduces the exhaust into the intake under decel and to simplify the explaination >>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifz8YdN2kM

27,015

Ya dont learn do ya judge im done trying to explain things to you.

27,015

Do you have any codes stored in the pcm? Very well could be a mass air flow problem sometimes some crud can get on the sensor and cause issues. The idle air control valve may be acting up but usually if they act up you will have a high idle not a stumble. You said you replaced the fuel filter. Have you checked the fuel pressure by chance.

well apparently I don't know from beans, dropped "beans" from the name don't ya know, yes upon acceleration the EGR introduces "inoccous NO2" into the mix to keep the operating temperature exact, but this business is tenuous, and controls must be exact for this to work properly-

did you not see the U-tube video I posted up there?...well then~

27,015

I dont need to watch youtube videos for information I do it for a living. Once again its not your suggested diagnosis but your explanation of egr working on decel. I wouldnt rule out egr in this case, its a more unlikey option but not impossible. But it was never designed for decel conditions if it were to ever work on decel it would be improper operation.

135

I am assuming you have no PCM codes or you would have mentioned a check engine light. I would check the fuel pump as well as the EGR valve. I have seen them go out but still idle fine.

the fuel pressure regulator if the hose falls off will suck air thru the connection causing high idle and improper fuel pressure~....will NOT issue a trouble code but must be manually checked with a vacuum suckin' tool~

20

egr gonna throw a code if not the map or you will have a nasty misfire at idle bc the plugs are gonna carbon up. check fuel pressure. check air filter. seems to me that your missing of the two. im going with the fuel side bc idle only requires like 40 lbs but accel or running speeds requires like 50 to 55 lbs. the rev your getting when you life the pedel is the motor coming back in to good running order thus why im leaning more to the fuel side. to explain it more it like that pull out handle on you sink when you squeeze it the foset water slows to nothing. when you low on fuel pressure and you open injector #1 the rest of the injectors progessively lost fuel until #4 doesnt have enough to fire. thus acting like a dead cylinder and creating a stumble or dying situation.

80

I am having problem with my Acura 3.0cl...it dies every now and then when I hit my gas but start right back...sometimes it drive perfect but every now and then it does that

310

I'm having a problem with my focus it will run but doesn't idle right and when I hit gas it dies I need help I don't know what's going on

50

I have a 1988 Pontiac trans am it idles out but when I push the gas and it wants to die but it doesn't I changed my tps sensor and it still does it