2005 Ford FiveHundred oil light

10

Asked by tytan275 Jan 20, 2015 at 08:44 AM about the 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE AWD

I replaced my oil the other day and now the light is starting to come on when the car is in
idle. I check the dipstick and the oil is full. So then I check the oil filter and plug to see if
it was leaking and everythign looks good. where do I go from here?? Im using all moto
craft 5W-20 synthetic and car has about 198,000 on it.

240,305

You may want to install a manual oil pressure gauge to see what the actual pressure is, you may not have an engine problem but a gauge or sender problem. Another thing is you may want to consider going to a 5W30 weight oil, 5W20 could be just a little too light unless you live in a really cold climate.

10

Thank you, but why the change to 5W30? I live in the north east so its cold but I wouldn't call it freezing.

240,305

The mileage is the biggest reason, even running synithetic wear does happen.

10

Js08016- No have been using the same model since I got the car Motocraft FL-820S. tennisshoes- Thanks Ill have to do another oil change tonight and see if it makes a difference.

240,305

Whoa, backup a little, I think you better check the actual oil pressure first, synetithic is not cheap. I had a bronco that did a similar thing, I had just changed the oil and filter and has driving when the gauge started acting weird, went back to my shop and put on oil gauge and found out it was my oil pump by pass was hung up, had to replace my pump, so check the oil pressure first, like I stated earlier you might get lucky and it just be a sender not an engine problem.

10

that sounds better then replacing everything again. I know oil pressure guage is easy to get but I have never attempted to use one. Where will this thing attach and what psi should it be at?

240,305

You could try just replacing the sender first, see if that cures the problem, if it don't then install a gauge. Most of them are put right where the sender is located, the kit should have all of the stuff you need to install it. Specs are 6 psi per 100 RPM. Bypass is set around 45 to 50 stock.

10

Will do. Need to order it cause no one has one. 2 day shipping is twice the price of the part. Thanks for all your help.

10

I have the part now trying to change it out. Cant find it does anyone know where this sending unit is?

240,305

They are normally located on the oil filter adapter.

Best Answer Mark helpful