Overheating Help

Justin Wolfe

Asked by Jul 03, 2015 at 10:24 PM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

I have just recently started having a
overheating problem. I live in Texas, and
yes I understand it gets hot down here so
my vehicle might run a little hotter than
normal. But that's not the case. I went
ahead and replaced my thermostat with a
180° Thermostat, because ride my car hard.
After installation I began to notice I'm
losing radiator fluid like a mofo, but can't
pinpoint the location because I don't see
any leaking. But no fluid is being taken our
of my over flow, im running really close
Temps, when I'm usually in the middle of
the guage. Now I'm about half an inch away
from maxing the guage out. I didn't have
this problem before hand until I replaced
my thermostat. So I don't know if I have a
cracked block or not. Please help, I don't
want to replace the engine when I don't
need to.

Thanks in advance

First thing,if you are loosing fluid,and you cant find a leak in around engine,check your oil for coolant and the tail pipe for humid water vapor,And next would be have a pressure check on the engine this will confirm that it is not and internal leak and in need of engine repair,if pressure is good on engine,start checking your radiator fans to be operating right,then check your radiator to be clean for air flow with no bent flutes,last but not least,water pump,if you check this you will find your problem,

If all the things that T_S_T suggested does not work I have a recommendation for you. Now what I am about to suggest a few will disagree but it has worked for me and others I have recommended to. Its called ( Bars Radiator And Cooling System Leak Sealer or Alumni Seal ) they both have worked great for me. Some will say it will clogg up your cooling system in which I totally agree with if you add more than that is recommended in other words do not continue to add more if it does not seal leak the first time. Adding more hoping it will work is when you will clogg up your cooling system. This is no guarantee that it will work but it has worked for 9 out of 10 people and if it does work its not a permanent fix but may hold you over long enough to get the funds to fix it right. Now as for me it has worked for about a a year and a half now with no problems that is why I recommend these products. In the end it's your call is it worth a try or not you be the judge.

Bob Beaman

1993 Ford T-bird, if it has a 3.8 V-6 engine it is likely that a head gasket is blown. Especially since you are losing coolant and no external leaks are found. Also installing a lower temperature thermostat will generally do nothing to solve an overheating problem.

Justin Wolfe

T_S_T I am about to check the pressure soon, and I hope it all checks up. But I didn't put some anti leak stuff in a while ago when I thought I had a leak (really it was the heater core going out for the 2nd time) I still see some Tony reflective piece from that stuff hanging around in my radiator when I pour fluid in. Bob, I didn't replace the thermostat to solve the over heating problem. I installed the thermostat just to get it a little cooler since I do live in Texas. It wasn't until after the fact I started having problems. Thanks again guys for the help I'll check the pressure soon!