I have a 93 bird and passenger window will go down partially, from there the motor just runs. The gear is metal.

Asked by Jun 28, 2014 at 06:15 PM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

Window does go back up. Why is it doing this if it has a metal gear?

The same thing happend to my 93 as well. It's just what's in the motor it's self that breaks. Mine broke from people getting in and out of my passenger side and slamming or just letting to door go. Just replace the motor and you should be fine. Good luck!!

23,405

No, slamming the door doesn't have any thing to do with the window mechanism failure. Metal gear? What metal gear? If you're handy, pull the door Bezel and the window motor and replace the Nylon gear (Gear Kit).

In fact it does. And the gear on the actuall motor it's self is metal.

Did you find a solutionfor this problem? I just developed the same problem. I also have a metal gear on the motor. It will push the window halfway up - the motor is till running but the window is not moving up or down. Push the window manually down a bit - maybe an inch, and it will work pulling the window down. Start the process again and it pushes the windo half up. I'm leaning towards the mechanism inside the door being bowed. How did you solve your problem?

23,405

The nylon pieces are under a cover held on by a single phillips screw. It's called a "Gear Kit". Pull the motor, remove the screw and the cover and see what I mean. there's 3 Nylon balls inside that are broken up. Don't get the grease on your clothes - it's hard to get out.

23,405

Here's what a good Gear kit looks like. The 3 Nylon Balls are in tact Yours are broken and allowing the center (metal) gear to slip

I'll pull it apart this week and see. I'll let you know what I find. Funny - I had a 95 Bird for 11 wonderful years and over 330k miles with no window problem - only an alternator and radiator fan. This 96 Bird has an original 51k and has gone thru a fuel pump, regulator, alternator and now the window - in one year. Good thing she's pretty...

23,405

Yes she is! My neighbor has a Baby Blue one sitting and rotting with a 5.0L ( I don't know the year). I wish I could get her to part with it. Just needs a starter and some TLC on the interior.

Sorry to take so long getting back but got buried in work! Ok took your advice and now the window's fine. My son actually took the motor apart and had it working an hour later yesterday. Thanks!

23,405

You are very welcome!