What is the difference between the 5.0L in a 93 TBird and a 93 Mustang?

335

Asked by Aug 08, 2013 at 01:57 AM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

What is the difference between the 5.0L in a 93 TBird and a 5.0L in a 93 Mustang?

I know the TBird has about 25HP less but why
And the intake is different because of the birds lower hood line.
Does the bird have the same cam as the cobra mustang?
Different exhaust set up. Can I delete my third cat and go with a H pipe like the Mustang?

232,075

The long block is the same as the Mustang just a different intake like you said and the exhaust is different. Single vs dual. I think you can purchase a duel exhaust crossmember to accomodate a Mustang Catback but not 100% sure. Here is a link to a duel setup....http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-116/92-dsh-97-THUNDERBIRD-EXHAUST-TUBING/Detail

23,765

In reality, it's everything bolted to the engine that's different. Usually, the Cobra set-ups are unique to the cobra. More detail to piston fit and ring and bearing clearances etc. - not just a production motor.

335

@ Tracy so every thing on the block is different? @ Tom the mustangs ran two cats until 94.... In 94 they ran 4. Can I run two cats instead of three?

23,765

Sorry, it was my awkward way of saying that the Long Block is the same just that the intake, exhaust and accessories are designed to fit into your Bird. The low hood line is the biggest difference. As far as the Cobra Engine goes, to the best of my knowledge, it's the same Long Block just built better.

335

Oh ok thanks Tracy

335

Oh wait you think I can just use two catylic converters in stead of the three that I have? Cause the mustangs used 2 until 94.

23,765

It would depend on your local smog laws and what the computer was designed to run with (as far as the number of oxygen sensors) I'm really an OEM guy myself. Trying to get California to let you license anything other than a "stock" car is a pain. There's a lot of companies that won't even ship high performance parts here.

335

I know tell me about it califonia is the worst for smog law tried to get high flow cats but they wouldn't ship them to me SUCKS. You mean computer in the car right?

23,765

Yeah.

335

Ok thanks