Stock 3.8 TBird In to a SC can it be done?

Asked by Jul 31, 2013 at 03:36 PM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

Im looking in to buying a 93 TBird
with a 3.8L. I already have a 93 TBird
with a 5.0L in it. But my question is
can I put a supercharger on the stock
3.8L. Will the block handle it? Will it
fit? Or will I need to do any
modifications at all?

93 is a tired old grandpa...don't make life tough for you old man here~...buy another zippier car and sell this one~

I'm never going to sell my TBird.

7,025

#1 - FIRST, Call or go on the web to see if the manufacturer made an application for what you want to do. No sense in going any further if they didn't make a bracket to mount it to the motor or make the correct pulley size. #2 - NO, the block won't handle it because the current supercharger configuration is too much for the 3.8 due to the size (diameter) of the 5.0 pulley. It will push too much air into the intake and you will have a constant "lean" condition fi it works at all. #3 - Will it fit ? - Measure the space needed for the supercharger where it currently is and create a "box" of the same dimensions. Then see if you can fit the "box" under the hood of the 3.8 to see if you need to cut anything to fit it in. #4 - Call the manufacturer BEFORE you do anything to see if they make or made a kit for what you want to do FIRST.

Your beloved vehicle will be annihilated if you actually use it...a careless person coming out of the gym will run a red light and T-bone your front quarter...this is what happens when you really love something will always be snatched from you...is the way of the fates...1959 and had 86,000 miles on it...the design was extraordinary~~~you can not fall in love with your car....it's just a damned car....okay build a "shrine" for it in your living room and NEVER drive it...that would be my suggestion...NEVER knew a MINI cooper would be as much fun as all that~~

Best Answer
24,555

When the Super Coupe first hit the market with a Supercharged 3.8L, it was toned down and rev-limited because the crank couldn't take it. No matter what Ford tried (within the profitable boundaries of a production hot- rod) nothing worked so they toned it down and limited the revs. The 3.8L is a great family car motor - very durable and quite reliable - (after all the Head Gasket revisions) but certainly not for Hot-rodding.

24,555

@ Man: From my mind to your keyboard. Ditto

7,025

"Man" - I hope my information was taken as "good guidance" and best wishes with what ever you decide to do.

....crikey, it's just a machine~...like to get to the store and back...and occasionally to visit Elmer in podunck~ should be beautiful to look at (not like these "Rhinos" that we are forced to share the roads with...quite amused that I could stir such passion, but it's not me....it's you car (and YES you CAN fall in love with the damned machine)~

@Fordtudor37 yes your information was taken in to very good consideration. @ Tracy thanks. @ judge_roy just stop commenting and nothing is funny about making people mad and ruining something they have a passion for..

"Man Armstrong"....okay then~

I wouldn't go thru the trouble of building any 3.8 ford motor. good if used normally, but the are so bad for performance upgrades. built in head gasket problem, cams are week, prone to overheat at higher speeds..etc. BUT, if you insist on the supercharger, look at specs of the 2 engines...look at bearing, seals and such. the pressure from the super charger can make it bleed oil if not proper sealed up. a lot of import guys throw turbos on anything and they do the same thing.

Can you put the 3.8l supercharger engine in a 97 ford thunderbird lx body? And if so wha parts would you need to make it work?

No u can't the na 3.8 didn't have the same compression

40

@1989fordthunderbirdsc compression on an NA block will always be higher than on a forced induction block from the factory. They lower the compression, then add the induction to make up for it giving you a kittle power gain. You can put induction on near amy car, and especially if they made a force induction system as an option forba car. If you use the NA block you will just have a higher compression ratio and produce more power. You need to make sure your engine can handle that, or swap pistons to the lower compression pistons. And as for clearance mentioned in an earlier post, the supercharger replaces the intake manifold. It is only a little bigger. If anything, just get a cowl hood.