5.0 TBird rebuild

Asked by Nov 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

I am looking to rebuild my TBird 5.0L!
My quistion is would it be worth it or
just go with a crate engine? I would
really like to keep my 5.0L in there I
want to a lot of power from it in the
future! So any suggestions would be
help full!

Thanks!!

You are wise to stick with the 302, one of the best engines Ford ever produced. As far as a crate vs. rebuild, I would go with crate, you get a warranty. And far less work to install.

Best Answer

A long block, meaning comes with top end, heads, in other words complete motor runs about $1,600 with a 7 year warranty

180

I agree with your first 2 answers if you were to keep it stock, however if you are going to modify it your warranty will be null and void. You might consider having your 302 built to what you want now, saving money in the long run. A good builder should give you a warranty if you don't go to radical.

Good point HRecore. I am with you there, the important thing you said is 'good builder' some are certainly better than others

So don't rebuild it just do what I want to it now? And I was thinking of a crate bacause yes it would be easier and a warrenty. but I love my 302 and if I could rebuild it and keep it stock at least until the warranty goes or until I have enough money to be like ok Im ready to build a monster!

I was under the impression that you engine is blown, correct? And you are asking the best way to fix it? If it is running and you only want to improve it performance-wise, there are supercharger kits to get you positive pressure induction, increasing hp a lot, but also the 302 was not originally engineered for a supercharger and may strain it. But what warranty? A 1993 still under factory warranty? That's where I am confused, when you say 'until the warranty goes' on the crate engine, is that what you mean? The crate will be stock.

Yea I mean the warrenty on the crate engine if i just swap out my 302. And nope it's not blown I just want a lot more power out of it. A friend of mine bought a SVT supercharger for his 302 and I was like it won't fit lol. He still has yet to install it. I would like to hear the wine of that supercharger in my 93!

Those aftermarket supercharger kits are just like anything else, you get what you pay for. Get a high-end one, an expensive one manufactured by Edelbrock, Weiand, Rousch, and the centrifugal ones claim to add 200HP but I am very skeptical about that. Be prepare to spend $3,000 or more for a high end one. If you are going to do it yourself, good luck. I don't mean sarcasm by that, I really mean good luck with your project. And the warranty will indeed be voided like HRecore said on a crate motor