How do I make my car window work?

25

Asked by Mar 20, 2012 at 02:12 PM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

Ok so the motor in the passenger side power window of my 1993 ford thunderbird works just fine. I can hear it everyime I try to work the window, but my window won't move unless I grab the glass with my hands and push or pull it in the direction I want it to go. I believe it is just stuck due to being able to hear the gears grinding. how do I figure this out? Please help!?!

125

If your car is typical of Fords, your nylon gear, mounted to the motor with 3 screws, is probably in pieces in the gear housing. It is about a $20 item for a gear and a grease pack. If you take the inside door panel off, you may see 3 dimples to drill out with a 1/2 drill bit. That will give you access to the three 3/8 in. bolts holding the window motor to the window scissor mechanism extract the motor and change out the gear. make sure you don't leave any pieces of the old gear in the old grease. Over the years I've changed out all four on my 1985 Crown Vic, and both on my 1981 Thunderbird. Piece of cake! Good luck. John

315

I have the same problem. Except that my window motor gear is metal so I know it's not broken. And I didn't have to dril anything to get to my window motor. I just had to cut the water gard to get to the 3 screws that hold the window motor in place. Mine is also a 93 but I have a 302 in it.