02 explorer sport motor in a 01explorer sport body

Asked by Feb 09, 2017 at 12:10 AM about the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD

I recently put an 02 explorer sport motor in my 01
explorer body. I didn't change the wiring harness
out and now I'm have starter issues, fuel issues,
and my AC don't work. The mechanic I took it too
said the wiring harness isn't the right one. Is there
an easier route than replacing all the electrical
wiring?

118,635

They are basically the same engines, didn't he just transfer the 01 manifolds and sensors too the replacement engine, it may have cost a gasket kit but it would have eliminated the problem your now having. The A/C was most likely drained to aide in the replacement, it should have been recharged after it was up and running. Starter issues could be just a worn out starter, especially if the original one was used, with a fully operational engine it might just be too much for a tired starter.

The A/C nor heat are working. I drove it yesterday and when I started it up it was acting like it wasn't getting the proper fuel or air to the fuel line. I shut it off and it wouldn't start till the next day. Now when I started it today it fired right up and my A/C and heat are working??? As far as the starter issue goes, it would be driving down the road and the starter would engage out of no where. After replacing the third starter I bypassed the ACM and I'm not having that issue anymore. Is the wiring harness the same for the01motor and02motor?

118,635

As I don't have both years in front of me I cant really tell but if anything is different it would be just the style of sensor plugs, that's why I asked if he changed everything over from to 01 to the 02 engine.

Shut it off after driving around the block and the power comes on but the starter isn't igniting... Wtf? I'm 8000 dollars deep in repairs on this vehicle. What should I do with it now? Mechanics don't want to mess with all that electrical so do I mark it up as a loss and get a new vehicle?

Yeah I'm95% sure he just switched everything over from the old motor