Tyre Sensor Fault

315

Asked by Apr 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM about the 2006 Ford Explorer XLT V6

Following error keeps appearing "Tyre Sensor Fault", i filled all the four tires to the proper pressure,
and it was gone, until after 4 days it appeared again. Check the pressure in all four tires and it was
right.
Two questions now,
1. Do i have to check the spare tyre as well? Is it possible that the spare tyre pressure is low?
2. My 4 tyres are not the exact as factory default, is that causing the Tyre Sensor Fault error? if so
then what are the possibilities, change the tyres back to original or a reprogramming of computer will
do the work?
Thanks in advance.

455

if the pressures are right then you dont have to worry about it, the sensors could be bad, this could happen when getting new tires put on, but if you know the pressure is right then its nothing to worry about

315

But i don't like the error on the screen, check with a mechanic and he said it might be a sensor problem, or a sensor belt (some thing like that), sensor costs around $150+ in my local Ford agent, and if it's the belt than it's just $15, he need to arrange a computer to check what it is.

455

well you could just bypass the sensor or pull the light bulb out of the dash, but it you want it fixed let them check and see what it is, chances are its a bad sensor, they go bad all the time

1,925

The batteries in your sensors are likely dead or very close to it, typically the only way to fix this especially on newer cars is to just replace the sensors with new ones which would involve taking the tires off the rims, replacing the sensors and then having the tires mounted back on the rims. I have never heard of a tire sensor belt so I cant say too much about that but it doesnt seem to me that it would be your problem. I can say that it is very unlikely that you will be able to bypass the sensors or remove the light bulb since it is most likely on a digital readout and not just a light on the dash. Also if you were to by pass the sensors you would have to go to someone who has the proper software to adjust some of the programming in your cars computer which typically cost a minimum of 300$ if it can even be done.

Best Answer Mark helpful
315

Finally i bought my self a pair of two sensors, as after diagnose it came out 2 sensors need replacement, one sensor's battery almost out, and the other one is faulty/damage/whatever. so as per the diagnos mechanic, i was advised to get the sensor and before returning back to him for reporgraming, i need to find some one else (tyre repair shop) to fix it in. Buying part was not difficult, but getting it fixed is a mission. I spend an hour (dozen of tyre repair shops) searching for some one who can fix it in my vehicle's tyres, but not a single mechanic want to fix it, as according to them, this sensor is not an easy fix. So i returned back home, opened the box and tried to read the instructions given inside the sensor box. It seems so easy that i am planning to go visit any of the tyre repair shop, ask him to remove the tyre from the rim, and am planning to fix it my self. Let's see how it goes. If all goes well, will straight away give the diagnose guy a visit for reprogramming. DO I REALLY NEED TO REPROGRAM THE NEW SENSORS? according to the previous owner, the tyre is not factory original size, it's 16R 240/70. Not sure about the 70 part, can't be bothered now to confirm, too tired. Thanks and i await my question.

1,925

Yes you do need to have them reprogrammed as the car wont recognize the new sensors as they have a different code for each one, kinda like garage door openers. One remote will work for different doors but it has to be programmed.

1,095

the spair tire is included in the the system make sure tht is right as well

30

Were can i buy the sensor, i am from guatemala, and i have a explorer 2010, and i have the problem... i just want to fix it... in the ford agent says that it is the right front wheel... but i want to be sure about that.

315

@mario: You should trust your Ford Agent, about the faulty sensor. If you don't mind getting it done by the agent, go for it with closed eyes. But if you want a cheap solution, but your self one sensor from a shop (2010 Ford Explorer Sensor) and give your local tyre puncture shop, and give him the sensor to install it. It's a very easy install,remove the old one and new one snaps into the wire already installed on the inner ring. Tyre needs to be apart from the ring. I had a tough experience, my local tyre puncture shops refused me to install it, until I agreed to one (without telling I want to install a sensor) and installed it my self, after they removed the tyre apart from ring. Don't know why they were making things complicated. You can also order the sensor online (eBay/amazon). Good luck.

315

@mario (edit): After an install, you need to reprogram all the sensors again. If you can find a shop who will reprogram & install under one roof, than good, else like I have to do, get it installed from one shop, and reprogrammed from another. If you are going to do same as I did, I recommend you to get it checked again, before you even but the sensor.