looking at purchasing one, owner claims the heat does not work in the front of the vehicle,but works in the back. is this a common issue? difficult or expensive to fix?

Asked by Dec 06, 2012 at 01:47 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4WD

18,280

Nope: But could take a little time if you do it yourself. I have a 2003 but not with reat heating, but here is the explanation. Taking into consideration the blower motor works in the front. There is a diverter under the hood which allows hot water from the radiator to flow through the heater core located inside your dash. The diverter opens and closes depending on where the temp gage is set. It is on the left side of the engine if you are facing it from the front. Lean over the side and look over the clear plastic radiator recovery vessel bolted to the firewall. Down around spart plug height you will see a black hose coming from the radiator with a diverter on it. It will continue on to the inlet for the heater core on the back wirewall. Check to make sure it opens and closes by the control on the dash. If he opens and closes, they your problem is with the blend door within the dash itself. It is not opening to allow allow the hot air to pass into the vehicle. The diverter is easy as all it takes are the part and two hose clamps. The blend door is the one that will make you curse, as most of the dash has to be disassembled.

18,280

Part two. - - - - If the diverter is opening and closing they try this. Drive the vehicle until the enting is hot. Leave it running, turn the heat to hot and feel the hose coming from the radiator. It should be hot. Now feel the hose past the diverter. It should be hot. Now feel the return hose from the core (next to it) it should be hot. If it is not hot then the core is probably plugged up with funk because the previous owner never changed the coolant or to save a few bucks decided to fill the radiator with plain water instead of coolant. If you deduce the core is plugged you can try to back flush it as a temp fix, but it will eventually begin leaking inside the vehicle. It's always expensive if a shop does it. This is something you can do on your own. Get a Haynes book for your year, make, and model. It will walk you through it step by step and even provide pictures.

Great! thanks for the help.I think we're going to buy it. The price is too good. We can figure out this heat problem. This has been really helpful, and I may need more help in the future. glad to have found it