Is There still a class action suit pending for the rear hatch cracking on 2002 Ford Explorer?

90

Asked by Dec 02, 2013 at 03:50 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Is There still a class action suit pending for the rear hatch cracking on 2002 Ford
Explorer? See attached picture.

237,755

http://www.fordproblems.com/Explorer/cracked-rear-panel.shtml

18,330

On my 2003 one was replaced under warranty. The new one lasted about another three years. Everytime I see an 02 or 03 there is the crack. I have a simple repair which looks rather well it you're interested.

20

Bought my 2003 explorer and within months of USING the tailgate, it cracked. Two years in, now two cracks. Too boot, I have spent thousands on a new transmission AND have differential leaks AND the engine stutters.... REALLY FORD?!?! Class Action for sure against whatever plant manufacturered these models!

1,245

I think there was even a class action suit for the rear and side window posts that fade in sunlight. After 20 years I would think they would have made an anonymous call to GM to see how they keep theirs from fading.

18,330

Here is a fix my son came up with which had held up for a few years and looks good. First, he he filled the crack (very generously with silicone, trying to get as little on the outside as possible. But dont worry, the next step will fix it. After allowing it to dry for a couple of days he used a single edge razor blade to scrape the silicone flat along the surface. Then using alcohol, he cleaned the area all around the crack so only the silicone was in the crack. Being a sign maker and graphic designer he purchased a color he liked (black in his case) of Scotch Cal 220 cast vinyl. This is the type used for graphics on autos, even race cars. It last about seven years. He applied it to the entire surfce, left to right on the plastic part that cracks. siliconed the Ford emblam back on and it looks great.

20

My 2003 explorer panel just cracked 2 weeks ago. While parked in my driveway.

18,330

A replacement will not last. The panel is actually glued in place. There is absolutely no change of expansion or contraction during summer or winter. The crack is inevitable.

8,150

Do you pindrill the furthest advance of the crack prior to these ideas to stop it from continuing? That is what I did to save my chev grille.

18,330

For some reason the crack on the hatch of Explorers always seem to occur in the same place. I've seen literally dozens of them. The crack begins where the plastic covering meets the window and proceed downward toward the Ford emblem directly in the center. For some reason I haven't seen any continue through the backing of the emblem toward the bottom. I can only guess, but I believe the crack that does develop allows the material to expand and contract relieving strain. That is the reason silicone was used in the repair. It will expand and contract with the movement of the base material.