HAVE AN EXPLORER XLT 4.0 THAT MAY NEED A TRANSMISSION. WHAT YEAR WOULD BE INTERCHANGEABLE WITH THE 2002 XLT EXPLORER.

Asked by Aug 01, 2013 at 03:16 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

OTHER THAN THE TRANSMISSION OVER DRIVE LIGHT THAT FLASHED ON WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE BUT TRANSMISSION?  THANKS NEED TO HELP SON OUT OF THIS PROBLEM. RETIRED DAD

22,425

As far as interchanges go, I believe wrecking yards have such a guide. Have you hooked up a scan tool and checked the codes? Sometimes it's just a dumb old solenoid that needs to be replaced - not a difficult job. Read the codes and get back to us. Let's see what we can do.

6,585

As "Tracy" stated, first get the codes and go from there. The book you are asking about is called the "Hollander Interchange Manual" and most auto parts recyclers either have a paper copy or use the one online. On the driver's door frame near the door lock post, you will see a sticker. Top line reads - VIN, Build Date, etc. but down at the bottom there will be a code for the transmission and for the rear axle. Take the VIN and the TRANS information from the sticker to any dealer, repairer or trans shop and they can tell you what else will fit as a replacement if you have to go that far.

22,425

Ahh the hazards of working in a Dealership for decades and now a fleet. I kinda get boxed in.

15,980

PLEASE READ AND MAKE A DECISION. I graduated from H.S. forty-three years ago with a guy whose dad owned a tranny shop. He owns it now and has performed all my tranny work since that time. Here is what he said about relatively new vehicles. He has never seen a vehicle tranny (I have three explorers) which were so completely torn up a rebuilt tranny is needed. Two of my explorers needed tranny work at one time or another. One required a torque converter and the other was an electronic gizmo which cost about 25 dollars and a servo seal. Take it to a good tranny shop (No AAmco etc) and have someone who knows what they are doing fix it. Most of the franchise places just pull out your tranny and stick one in that has been rebuilt. Your problem may be very simple.

9,595

If the transmission is still shifting through gears, but shifting hard or slipping in OD. You may just need to replace the solenoid pack. If third gear disappeared like it did on mine, then the transmission needs to be replaced/rebuilt. If you replace the transmission, you will need to replace with one from another 02 or early 03. Only two years they used that transmission (trans code on the door is 'R').

15,980

Reread your post. Seems the only problem now is the OD light is coming on. Sometime it does, sometime it doesn't. That is the problem I was having with my 2003. Spoke to my tranny guy who stated if the light comes on do not stop the engine. Drive to his shop and leave it running. I did as he suggested. He came out, read a code, ordered some electronic component, screwed it on, and I was on my way in about thirty minutes. No problem since, and that was three years ago

15,980

OK. For the heck of it I call my tranny gut about your problem. It stated the problem is probably with the speed sensor mounted on the transmission. On the 2002 and 2003 the sensor is located on the tail shaft housing. The problem could also be frayed wires from the sensor. He also stated the problem sometimes arises when a kid gets a vehicle and the first thing they do is stick a set of goofy oversize tires on it for which the sensors are not calibrated. He did add that if the problem is intermittent, it is probably the sensor, but the code has to be read to make certain, meaning the light has to be on or flashing when it is checked.

20

I have one that will fit same year don't need it will let it go for a little of nothing email me dearius30@gmail.com

110

Our 1998 Ford Explorer O/D light is flashing off and when we try to drive it the overdrive kicks in and out and we don't feel safe driving it. Is there some kind of electronic gizmo that affects this?

40

have a 02 v6 4.0 tranny myself doing the same thing check engine light is on and every once in a while the o/d light flashes ...been like this for a while ...but it is starting to shift hard ..and rpm are going up to 5 6 at times from 50 60 ...love the truck don't really want to junk it ...two shops are saying I need tranny.. I know a 03 tranny will fit from what ive read anything I need to know before I drop the cash???

15,980

My daughter's 03 was doing the same thing with the OD light. Fortunately I went to school with guy who has a tranny shop. For me it was an inexpensive repair, less than a hundred bucks and about forty five minutes of my time. He diagnosed the problem with a laptop he plugged into the code reader slot under the dash.

If you haven't fix it I'll make an offer

10

i have a ford explorer 4.0 i put a fuel pump in itit cranks and starts but not stay running

Does anyone know a good transmission place that will replace b solenoid in 2003 Ford Explorer xlt in Lehigh valley

I've got a 1997 explorer dead on the road. It starts but won't go anywhere. I just got it in a trade for my jeep. Got this thing last week, knew something was wrong right away since it didn't want to get out of third gear. Then it stopped moving. Still starts, but stalled. It's a 4 wheel drive, I've tried putting it in neutral and going through to 4 wheel low and seeing if it goes anywhere. no. Tried putting it in 4W high. No. automatic -- No. Its stuck on the side of the road. In lieu of getting it towed to a shop is there anything I can try to get it rolling again?