brakes grinding and squealing

25

Asked by Sep 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

changed brakes pads all the way around, getting a grinding and squealing noise from front brakes now. Any suggestions on what it could be?

295

did you change the rotors???? if you didnt have them turned or changed the old rotor have been glazed and the new pads wont be able to set to the old rotors change the rotors or have them machined

25

checked them all seem to be fine, going to try new brake pads (OEM) this time and see if that gets rid of the noise. Bought NAPA mid grade and maybe just not right fit. I will let you know. While I'm in there again will turn rotors this time.

1,185

Your brakes could be sticking. I have a 1992 Mercury sable GS that had the same issue. The brakes were sticking, best way to fix that is to the brakes apart and drain some of the brake fluid out and let the brakes release themselves.

stupid reply,but did you put the pads on right,seen a lot of DIY jobs at garadge pads on backwards.

25

Thanks for asking, but no they are on the right way have taken apart and cleaned and remounted twice already. Tuesday i am going to purchase new pads form ford and see if it stops the problem. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

25

Thanks, will try that before purchasing new ones. Check the fluid to make sure their were full and bled every line plus master cylinder but maybe they need less not more. Thanks for the thoughts.

175

Common issue with newer body style Explorers. I had a mechanic that couldn't do these to save his life! The anti rattle clips in the caliper bracket are tempermental. The clip needs to be seperated with a tiny screwdriver to allow the brake pad tab to slide in. If you forced the pad into the clip, it bends so when you use the brakes, the clip moves and makes contact with the rotor usually on the inboard side. Take the pads out,lube, and install bending the clip out slightly to allow the pad tab to slide in. The pad needs to move in the clip, not the clip move. The rear does not have these clips but a cover over the spindle that the pad rests on. Hope this helps you!