brakes squealing

25

Asked by Sep 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

changed brake pads all the way around and have a grinding and squealing sound from the front brakes. Anybody have a suggestion what it could be?

30

Did you have the rotors resurfaced or replaced? I have had some metallic pads that had a grinding noise, but not a squealing sound.

first off where did you get the breaks.another thing when you finished the job,did you pump up the break peddle to close the calaper piston to get the break pads tight on the rotors.for the rear was they drum breaks,did you adjust the break shous up tight to drums,you sure no spring poped off when reinstalling the hubs.

25

Hey, got the brake pads at NAPA, mid priced ones. I did everything the same way i have done all my other pad repalcements and never had this problem. I have always got the brakes at NAPA as well. I thought maybe there is another common problem that someone else has had. Seeing that is not the case so i will have to trouble shoot, starting with new brake pads. Thanks for trying.

25

No they look fine, going to try new brake pads (OEM) this time. Hopefully it works. thanks

185

Most likely is that the brake caliper anti rattle clips are rubbing on the rotor. The clips need to be there and I'm going to assume that you just set the brake pad tabs into them and forced the pad into the caliper bracket! So now when you use the brakes, the clip moves and hits the rotor (usually on the inside) instead of the brake pad moving in the clip. These clips are tempermental! When you put the brake pad into the clip, you need a tiny screwdriver to seperate the clip to let the pad tab to slide in. If you forced it, I'll bet this is your issue!!!