Theift light will not stop blinking. Will someone please tell me where the theift valet switch is on a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited Edition V8

760

Asked by Sep 18, 2013 at 05:59 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD

okay this has a special theft proof system...you must read whatever documentation is in the glove box~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuriLock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvRKZ-DHjGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3iN6KfgfXU

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975

760

My vehicle starts just fine so I am thinking it's not the key or the pad otherwise it would not start from the links you provided. One guy on youtube posted a video showing his theft light was also blinking his ford was not the same as mine but showed to press the valet switch & that blinking theft stopped blinking so I would like to know where my valet switch is on my 2002 Ford Explorer please.

760

Thanks for your responses, I really do appreciate it Judge Roy. I have read the manual but it says nothing about how to fix the theft light problem. What makes me angry is even if I take it to the Ford dealer they charge $75 just to tell me how much it's going to cost me to fix it & chances are there are so many different possibilities the long they text the more money it is !! you know :)

760

I meant the longer they test the more money it is :)

I looked the schematic is broken into "modules" they just ain't sharin' the intimate details...in addition of the rarity of the info with your vehicle (even info.com...hardcore searchin') a schematic or wiring diagram Could NOT be located...huff and puff and blow this terminal off my desk!~

760

I know, right!! I have searched and searched as well & just can't seem to find where that valet switch is located on my vehicle. It should be just under the dash or next to the drivers side dashboard but I just can't seem to find it :( If by chance you find it please let me know & again thank you very much for you time and help. Deborah

Deborah, you're sweet for bein' nice to the judge...there are those out there dishin' the dirt on the judge....master of all things mechanical...all makes and models years foreign and domestic...the principles are the same~ none has really changed much in a hundred years when it comes right down to it....thank you again....a breath of fresh air for this cigar filled forum~

PETS II...something cutie like that?

works with NO battery in the dingus...proximity only....scary technology~

You could TRY stickin' one of those RESET tools into the OBD-II slot (not three feet from the ignition switch)~ like the video showed~....you know if such a switch existed, may have been aftermarket...on account there does not seem to be any documentation for it's existence~

760

Your very welcome. I agree I usually don't bother with forums because there are some pretty rude folks out there but you went to such length to provide links etc. & I have learned a lot that I didn't know which may come in handy in the future. I always say if I can learn at least one new thing a day then the day wasn't wasted :)

A dealership carefully installed a "defeat switch" for valets...etc.....the trick is to know which wires we need to defeat with no schematic~ Better roll with the prescribed plan and reset properly...and have no beeping or false alarms then~

Have you got any pictures? does it look like a triangular metal wart on the bottom of the dashboard? or integrated as if it has a special place just for this function? Could you post a picture of your valet switch...the backside would be better 'cause we'd see a few wire colors~

there are an array of scan tools all will reset the trouble codes~

760

Hi Judge Roy; Will you take a look at this video as you can see as he's talking the theft light on the dash is blinking. He explains how to turn it off but it goes back to that darn valet switch/button. Anyways take a look at the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXArL1ydwps What do you think? Thank you Deborah

760

That's the problem. I have no idea where to find this valet switch or button that's what I'm trying to find out :) Take a look at the video I posted above. The Ford in that video is not the same kind of vehicle so this is why I cannot find that switch/button. My vehicle is a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited Edition 4X4 V8 !! Thanks Deborah

damn....we will have to get creative then...perhaps an electrical specialty shop, like a car stereo installer would be cheap enough and could do the job of the "defeat switch"...we are going to need some information about how the PETS II system will behave...it works on proximity...emitting a signature and expecting a signature or no signature back... all driven by your 12 volt onboard battery~...not the key transponder has a resonant frequency the ignition system recognizes....they don't make them this way anymore~

yes...the "valet button" seemed self-installed, but you could look on the inside of the door jamb (good spot?) for this button...congrats Deb, you found it~

760

Well I found a video of one & don't know if it self-installed or if all Fords have them perhaps mine is in a weird place, that's my problem I've looked inside the door jamb, under the dash on the floor board !!! If by any chance you hear or find out where's it located please let me know. Thanks again for your patience & help. Calling it a night. Deborah

good gracious~

23,035

If you folks are talking about the light on the instrument panel that actually says "THEFT" - there is no valet switch. The light should blink with the key off to indicate that the system is working. If it's blinking with the key on, you shouldn't be able to start the vehicle. It's possible for the (Passive Anti Theft System) PATS Module to have lost the data for your coded key(s) or perhaps you are using a copy? I know that a lot of people only see dealerships as thieves but all-in-all, you have the power and the right to stop work whenever you like and they do have the expertise, equipment and information to address your concern.

760

Hello Tracy; Yes I am saying the panel "dashboard" Theft light keeps blinking. The car starts fine. As for taking it to the dealership "our" dealership was just sold and there looking for technicians so I'm out of luck there!! The key in not a copy it's the original key. When the car is parked that light didn't always continue to blink which would cause the battery to go dead!! it could be as you said my key itself is malfunctioning or the computer itself is malfunctioning. I'll continue to read as I have read how to reset the key etc. Thank you for your help.

23,035

You'll need a scan tool to access the module (Computer) that controls the PATS system. I don't think the PATS is drawing your battery down - especially not a blinking dash light.

10

If your battery is going down check the battery saver relay. It's in the central junction box under the dash, (fuses are on the bottom, relays are on top, 7 of them. The battery saver relay is in the row of 3 smaller relays, I believe #5 if you have the fuse box diagram. If not it's the 3rd relay counting from right to left.

20

I changed the whole steering column the starter will click but won't turn over can take a screwdriver and touch the starter it will turn over and over but won't start and yes my theft light is blinking but not when trying to start will it do me any good to look for this valet switch help plz