Overheating

55

Asked by May 16, 2013 at 07:43 AM about the 2001 Ford Explorer XLT

Hey OJ,
V-6, 4.0 Explorer XLT
The tube is actually a hard black plastic about 3/8" square trough directly above the drivers side bell housing right at the bottom of the curve of the firewall. Thats the question i've got. Where does it come from?  I suppose there must be a two part plastic pan under the heater and evaporator and a separate tube for each one. One to the left and one to the right. Anyway, When she overheated the last time, while I was relieving pressure from the plastic cap, I noticed the coolant dripping from there. Funny thing though, I doesn't loose fluid nor drip from there or anywhere else during normal operation. I had it to the repair shop and they couldn't find anything wrong... Whats your thoughts??  
Tell me, When I try to reply to sender from my email cargurus sends message that i can't reply that way.   Is this the only way to reply to an answered question?, Thanks, ski

you can send a message directly to OJ if you'd rather NOT anyone else's opinions....yes you can...click on OJ and his profile will pop up and on the upper right there's a "send a personal message" icon..click on that one and will let you know if he's taking messages right now, and will let you....problem is there is a vile "capcha" thing to where you've got to punch thru to find one that you can actually make-out~

22,780

Operator: I'm looking at myHaynes Manual which covers the 2001 Explorer. It does not mention the tube you describe. I also could not locate one in the location you described on my daughter's 1999. Allow me to make a suggestion. Allow the engine to get to operation temp the shut it off. Allow the water to drip onto your hand. If it is hot, it is obviously coming from coolant. If only tempid, maybe it is condensation. I will read from the manual regarding the heater core in your vehicle. "Regarding of the heater core, on the 2001 it is a difficult procedure the for home mechanic. The instrument panel must be removed, which involves many hard-to-reach fasteners and electrical connections." The evaporator housing must be removed. The instrument panel must be removed. The PCM and its heat sink must be loosened and set aside. Remove the bolts from the engine side securring the heater plemium from the firewall. Remove the screws securring the heater core cover on the plenium.

22,780

Regarding your post. Did you discover why the vehicle overheated the first time? Was it due to a lack of coolant? If there is a tube as you describe, and I do not doubt your post, then it must be a condensation drain tube, as the radiator system is a closed system. If it only leaks when the engine is turned off, how much is expelled and how long does it drip. Do you have to refill the radiator occassionally? You indicated it does not loose coolant?

yeah OJ, was thinking an evaporator drain too~