how to install a cadillatic converter

70

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 01:20 PM about the 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

23,385

Saturate the fasteners with penetrating oil. Remove the bolts. Install the new Cat with new gaskets.

"cadillatic" think you mean Catalytic...there has to be a reason why we are replacing this unit....was it a CEL (check engine light) or is the old one not fashionable and needs to have a facelift?

70

My mechanic said I need to replace it. The check engine light is on and it hesitates on acceleration. I guess what I'm trying to find out really is can I buy a used one and have them install it or even if I can myself? And thankyou for your help.

23,385

In California you can't buy a used one. I don't know about the other states. Be sure to get a second opinion on this one - Cats are expensive.

Best Answer

the new one will FAIL unless we can determine the cause of this enriched condition....the CEL will have codes associated with it...go back and write them down or order you very own code reader~

if you can get it to burn lean...there is a chance that a highway ride will clear your catalytic converter by burnin' off the carbon that is impeding flow~ that's why you need to take it to an autoparts store to have the codes read for us...don't keep them a secret....are the key to getting you to run correctly....probably an O2 sensor or 2~

70

So I made a call about weather or not I can purchase a used one and here in Tx. you cannot as well.

23,385

Oh well. Your next option is to call around to muffler shops and see what they can do for you. There are some universal replacement cats that cost a lot less than the OEM units installed.

yep....California's got it ALL figgured out~

try a Google search....then 'shopping' will give you the best values for your search terms~....use this all the time to check on 1.) does the part exist 2.) the answer for a replacement 3.) often misses the mark altogether, but a Catalytic converter will have a wealth of choices....gonna do this right now for sh*ts and giggles~

greatgooglymooga..for for ^%$#sake 49 States $75, California $500??

H25, we still have air here...need I remind you this is not Shanghai~...gonna be the price that you pay...it just is....tell me why do we not feature 'Magneto' ignition technology? The standard on aircraft engines...does not care about galvanic eddy currents or surge protection but reliably issues with the spark....think the model T had these as I recall....why pray tell are we making things intentionally more covert and obscure....CARDS on the table please....we mustn't hide behind the latest and greatest~~final word...judge_roy

...honestly think we've de-volved where the Engineers who are making all the money (kids, sadly without practical design experience) are churnin' out designs they aren't even sure of themselves....there is something to be said for stickin' to what works~.....what's wrong with you people...gotta keep redesigning things with an eye to make money....so it breaks....more money for us.....Please start making sense with your designs....even BMW is guilty of stepping into unproven territory~

still waiting on you mommabig99 to let us have the info as to WHY your car is being a bad boy....PXXX codes are for powertrain~ probably you've got a few....the guy at NAPA or any autoparts store will be happy to send a person out to extract them through your OBD-II connector (less than three feet from the ignition)...then we can help you change out the bad parts~