Why is my 2003 Expedition going through the anti-freeze?

Asked by Nov 26, 2010 at 09:41 PM about the 2003 Ford Expedition XLT

Had a leak in a hose.  Had it repaired.  I loose a gallon a anti-freeze every 150 miles?  There is milky foam on the inside of the oil cap, but the dip stick is clean.

you may have a leaking freeze plug,as for the oil cap,just moisture,as long as the oil is clean,do u have steam blowing from tail pipe all the time,if so blown head gasket on exshoust side of gasket,replace theromstat.is carpet on pass side wet,if so leaking heater core.

Hi, thanks for the attention. I layed paper out under the whole truck to find any dripping. Had none in 3 hours, but I did check the oil dip stick again. It won't register, but when I stick a clean stick in; it comes out 'wet'. There is no steam blowing out the tail pipe and the carpet on pass side is dry. I guess the coolant may be mixing with the oil??? The milky foamy stuff accumulates every drive. Doesn't sound good, eh?

no not really,if the collent was mixing with the oil it would be milkey on the dip stick,I would still change the T stat,or take it out and run it and see what happends,a stuck t stat will build up pressure and blow the hose and boil it out of the resivor overflow tank.also if you pulled the dipstick and it had no oil on it,that could also be your problem,it should hold 7 qrts of oil,if it has the motor im thinking you have.

I hope the t-stat is root cause. I checked the oil level this morning (let it settle overnight) The fluid level on the dipstick was 2.5x above the maximum level indicator. The fluid looked rusty.

over filled,drain some out or just do a oil and filter change,do the t-stat.

Dude Hate to tell you sounds to me that you have a head gasket that is broke in between the oil passge and water passage

I would agree with above post but this problem started with a blowh hose,I would still change the T stat and WP,as for the condentastion on the oil cap,I have seen this a lot at the shop,dont mean a blown head gasket,I also feel you should have the freeze plugs checked.

i just had the same problem as the above post clean dip stick but milky around the oil cap was the head gasket i agree with Rob cost me $700.00

A compression test/will tell you about head gasket. Low readings in joining cylinders, usually indicates blown head gasket. Low readings in non adjacent cylinders will sometimes indicate a cracked engine block. Also, have cooling system pressure tested first to check for leaks.

i just changed the intake manifold gasket and after i hooked everything back up....my truck will not start and now water is being found on my oil stick when i pull it.....WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??????!!!!!