rough idle and sometimes hard to start

5

Asked by Apr 24, 2011 at 01:02 PM about the 2006 Ford Escape XLT

my 2006 escape xlt with 3.0 runs smooth but idles rough and sometimes hard to start, other times fires right up.engine light is on and temp. guage goes up to normal operating temp. rather quick but doesn't overheat.seems to be harder on fuel than normal....

clean the IAC (Idle Air Control ) is on throttle body,with carb cleaner,dont push in prindle sticking out of it.,as for the fast warm up replace thermostat.

2,995

Personally id be more suspicious of the EGR valve than he IAC valve. Realistically you should find out what codes are causing you check engine light to illuminate. Go to your local parts house and they will most likely check your codes for free. These are way better indicators than the guesstimation we can give you without diagnosing the vehicle. Sight unseen, if you can get it to start then lightly tap on the throttle body and see if the idle has a any change in RPM. If it does than i would suspect the IAC valve. If not then the EGR would be your next best culprit.

Just checked around on 2001 Escape and found a vacuum line off. Plugged it back on fitting and now it idles perfect. Right in front of the EGR valve, there is a metal tube. Follow it back behind the motor and at the bottom of it there is a rubber hose about 2 inches long that had come off the fitting. The fitting (as you're looking at the motor from the front) is just to the left of the EGR valve.

140

When a Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape idles rough or stalls, especially when hot, this is a sign the fuel pump is failing. The check engine light will not come on. There will be no trouble codes. The problem will often occur after driving, then stopping foe a few minutes, after which it will either not start, or run very rough. This will continue for several months before the fuel pump finally fails. It is easy to change, there is an access plate under the rear seat, drivers side.

40

I just went through the same problem, replaced the egr valve and egr solenoid, runs like new again

60

My daughter's 2004 Ford Escape V6 appears to be the AIC valve. Removed it and soaked it 3 times with throttle body cleaner. Then rinsed with high pressure spray from the can. Put it back on and it started and idled without even touching the gas pedal. I reached in through the window to turn the key and it fired right up.

While taking the IAC and the EGR off to clean, wouldn.t you know...found a small vacuum line dried out and leaking. Replaced it, cleaned the 2 valves and it runs fine now. Appreciate y'alls help and suggestions.

10

03 tribute has rough idle,but runs fine. I replaced a tube that runs on top maf and intake tube has t on top of air intake tube,the one tht runs to front of motor was corroded and had hole,so replaced it still have rough idle...i have the tube that runs from t to back of motor,but it seems ok...also one day last week it wouldnt start had it towed to mechanic and it was flooded....could this be connected? Mechanic said it was possible.

if the mechanic told you that the vehicle was flooded, this is possible because I had to change my injectors along with the fuel rail, tps sensor and iac valve... the faulty injection will leak and cause the engine to flood.