2002 Escape Electrical Problems

5

Asked by Mar 11, 2011 at 02:32 AM about the 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

My girlfriend's Escape has several recurring electrical outages: The power windows will stop and start working randomly on the road, the rear hatch and window latches only work part of the time, and apparently the brake lights don't work all the time, though every time I've checked them they work fine. I've seen a lot of talk of faulty Central Junction Boxes in this model. Could this be the problem? All of the fuses under the dash are fine. The stereo also takes a while to come on when the car is first turned on and has turned off on a few occasions. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and what are my options?

junction box is going bad.

5

Can I get a replacement at a wrecking yard, or will I just end up with the same problems? I'm having a hard time finding one online.

yes you can,but I would try changing the switch on door first,when they go bad they do wackey things or just stop working.

CHANGE YER OIL.

20

I have a 2004 Ford Escape and have the following problems. Began a few years ago with fuel tank lid open light coming on, then various other lights like the air bag malfunction light or check engine light, followed by overhead ceiling lights going off and power mirror adjusters not working, followed by cd/stereo not working, followed by headlight failure, followed by tail light not working. CD/stereo would suddenly power back up and begin working again and many of the warning lights would also malfunction intermittently. Replacing bulbs only results in the new bulb blowing out relatively soon. We also replaced two O2 sensors on two of the cylinders. Also, the electric door locks quit working and one time the locks were jammed in a partly locked position and we had to call a locksmith to get into the car. Using a key did not work. The car drains batteries and we have had 3 in the last two years. We have replaced the alternator once a little more than a year ago and the car currently makes the ticking sound that means "I just ate another alternator" to me. We spent $400 replacing the major fuse box. Right now, the car is dead, sitting in apartment complex parking lot. This time, the first outage was the radio/cd player, interior overhead lights, tail light and door locks. When last we were able to start it (yesterday morning) its dials and gauges show the needles all rev'ed to the max when the engine first turns on. It has done this for a while now but I mention it because I noticed someone else also mentioned it. I have loved this car, except for these problems. We have had several good mechanics work on it over the years and no one seems to be able to fix these problems. I recommend you trade your cars in and get different vehicles. Much as I have enjoyed my Escape, even the 2013 model is having similar difficulties and looking around on the internet at various sites there are reports of Escapes just dying on the highway and/or spontaneously combusting. If even Ford cannot figure it out and will not acknowledge the problems or issue recalls for it then I don't know who would be able to. By the way, I have had all of the recommended services performed timely, including all oil changes. That response just made me laugh out loud.

20

2002 Ford Escape new battery only last 3 to 7 days Then dies Short