How to fix a control arm with a stripped bolt?

75

Asked by Feb 05, 2015 at 01:13 PM about the 2002 Ford Escape XLT

I took auto to get alignment.  The bolt in the control arm (near the engine) is stripped (just turns around).  How can this be repaired?  I do not know what the name of the part that the bolt screws into.

Thanks,

Kev

is it in this image?

Best Answer Mark helpful

or

75

The first image is correct. The bolt just goes into part 1. If there is a nut it is inside part 1. Should I have bolt taken out and try to replace with same bolt? i am guessing there is threading in part 1. What is part 1 called?

Ok I got that image from the site I will put at the end here, to make it easier to hyperlink (if it will. I had it up before, but it would not link, the old 404...but if you can get to it go to page 3 and they just call it crossmember, but the site has every nut bolt and washer for a 2002 Escape. If it doesn't link, maybe copy and paste, or Google "2002 Ford Escape front suspension", then click images, and you will see it on top row, second from left. Click on the image then "Go to Page" http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/parts/2002/FORD/Escape/XLS?siteid=214290&vehicleid=60198┬žion=FRONT%20SUSPENSION&group=FRONT%20SUSPENSION

I don't know why it won't hyperlink, it should. That web address is copied and pasted directly from the site, so there are no typos. Maybe it will for you

http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/parts/2002/FORD/Escape/XLS?siteid=214290&vehicleid=60198&diagram=MK01190

AH..that one will link

75

Boy that part is pricey.. Can the existing cradle be rethreaded?

Yes, absolutely. I don't know how hard it is to access, but for over a thousand bucks, it's well worth supporting the engine and taking it out to work on. Then you can use a Helicoil or Time-Sert. Either, they are equal quality and can be bought in a kit with the proper drill bit and everything needed. If you are not familiar with these, they are thread-repair kits and are very reliable, they even use them to repair spark plug threads that have either stripped or blown out plugs like bullets on some Ford engines. They didn't use enough thread length and aluminum to boot. Sorry, getting off on a tangent. Yes, that strong. Anyway, Google either or just go to auto-parts and they will have kits..but you must know what size thread you are repairing. Hopefully you still have the old bolt to match. and hopefully you can do it without having to remove the cradle, but like I say for $1k.....well...

I went looking at Helicoils and TimeSerts and for a single use kit, with drill bit, tap, insert, everything is about $20 or so depending on size of bolt. Or an entire set would run you north of $450..but only a mechanic really needs that. Time Serts are a bit more expensive, but I don't know that they are any better. I have used helicoils on some pretty high-torque applications, and when done right, (use plenty of machine oil, WD40, even light motor oil doing the tapping and drilling, i.e. lubricate a LOT) that was something I learned the hard way) have never had one fail. Hope I have been some help, feel free to ask away anything else and if I don't know the answer I'm not too proud to say so.

75

Hey Mark, Pretty funny. I was just looking at the HeliCoils and TimeSerts on you tube. Glad to hear they work so well. Thank you for your answers and time. It has been a huge help!!!

I'm not Mark, that's where you click if my answers are helpful. No worries, happens all the time....David aka FordNut

75

Hey David, My mistake. Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Thumbs up and figured it must have been a first name. Well it is David helpful! Thanks again