feels like the brake is on when in drive

Asked by May 11, 2013 at 06:43 PM about the 2002 Ford Escape XLT

Has your parking brake been adjusted recently?

Does it pull to one side when you apply the brake?

Best Answer

Is it upon acceleration as you can hear the Transmission getting labored down, as if suddenly someone put several 90 pound bags of cement in your trunk?

yes.pulls to one side when the brake is applied real hard. The last sympton was the over drive light came on & the transmission does not work in reverse.

no. this is a Tennessee car

okay, it pulls to one side... thanks for the best answer green---what you must do is with a floorjack take the wheels up one at a time and look at the calipers should be free to travel in and squish the fluid back into the reservoir and travel back and forth perpendicular to the rotor...be able to get at least a 1/4 inch of movement...if not there, take the calipers off, change the brake pads (if needed) look at the rotor to see if it has uneven wear (the cooling vents up the middle will show) one side is sticking and causing uneven wear...if really bad will have to get some new vented rotors----but point is if all seems okay wirebrush the pins on which the caliper rests with special lithium grease (don't know why exactly, but this is the grease to use...assure travel in the calipers, and you'll stop dragging your brake(s) [might want to hit both sides}~

alright, look at your transmission fluid level...this is done with the engine running. look at the level between the two hash marks...not enough is bad, because we must begin looking for the source of the leak....burned is bad, 'cause that means you were taking it to places this transmission wasn't built for~

ford dealer wanted to replace a modular on the transmission that communicates with the computor. no guarantee that this would fix the problem but they needed to do this before they could check out the transmission

the "vacuum modulator" this has a vacuum hose and an electrical connection to it...some have argued with me that there is no vacuum on a vacuum modulator but am convinced that there's a vacuum hose to it, and maybe needs to be replaced. I always chose indestructable silicone vacuum hoses~

does this stop you from checking the transmission fluid, both level and whether it is burned or not?

if your brake calipers are sticking, you're going to want to order a set of "loaded" calipers that already have pads in them~

Thanks for your help. i will check out your suggestions