I have a 2002 ford escape with the V6 engine the EGR valve blow apart does any one have any idea what could cause this? It has good exghast flow

Asked by Sep 19, 2013 at 08:47 PM about the 2002 Ford Escape XLS 4WD

Is there a problem with these vehicals? Blew the top right off the EGR valve have heard that the converter could be cloged but stick my hand down by the tail pipe and seems to have lots of flow

when it happened it would only go about 30 mph when it bew the eger it took off like a rocket. The check engine light came on right before the egr blew apart but is now out

It is difficult to know if the cat is clogged even if you feel exhaust coming from the tail pipe. I would guess that either the egr lines are clogged and need to be decarbonized

If the cat is clogged though would you have good exhaust flow?

No...inferior quality Chinese part~ chose an Airtek or OEM supplier that carries a guarantee~

Delphi is OEM.~

I am trying to figure out what caused the problem. It is the orginal part from ford. What would cause it to blow up like that? Cat clogged or lines maybe carboned up not my car it is a friends car trying to help him out. But hate to but a new EGR on and have that one blow up to. They do cost around $50 bucks and he don't have much money

roy do you mean no meaning that if the cat is clogged that there would not be a good flow?

no man...the EGR was defective~

it takes runnin' with the black tape for a couple of months to choke a catalytic converter~

you might check the operation of the EGR...it uses a computer signal to engage...it shunts exhaust gas into the intake plenum on deceleration and also when combustion temeperatures are getting to hot introduces expended fumes to reduce combustion temperature~....now if the computer were telling it to open at the wrong time because a vacuum line had fallen off...you might check for blockage in the tube that goes back to the intake plenum...may be almost totally fouled with carbon...use some brake cleaner on that~

Best Answer

Thanks for the help. I will check all of these issues

Did you figure out the issue? I just bought the same year/make/model two days ago for a pretty substantial amount of money for it to leave me and my daughter on the side of the road 28 hours after purchasing. I have the same symptoms and replaced it once. Its sitting until I figure out the cause. Please help!!!

Yes it was the rear cat was clogged replaced that and have not had a problem since

Awesome!! Thank you!

Yes one of your cats are clogged you have 3 2 on each bank and one under car. I just had this problem on my escape the inside of Bank 2 cat broke apart and clogged the one under the car the fix was to buy a new bank 2 cat and install it then i took the one under car off and dumped out the peices