Dead Battery

115

Asked by May 21, 2013 at 08:49 PM about the 2002 Ford Escape XLS

2002 Ford Escape V6 that has been having dead battery issues.  For the past 2 weeks
the battery has not been keeping a charge.  Was able to start car by hooking up
portable battery charger to battery.  Also removed battery and charged it before putting
it back in.  I've been reading about other people having the same problem and removing
fuse #27 helping the cause of battery being drained.  I removed the fuse #27 today,
attached the portable battery charger to battery but now won't start.  It clicks and tries
to start but does not fully start.  When reading about fuse #27 no one stated that they
replaced it so I am under the impression that they removed it and did not replace it.  
Any other suggestions on what the cause could be?
Thank you, Frustrated in Manteno, IL

75

A corroded conneciton? Also get a volt meter and make sure the alternator can output more than 13.5V with the headlights on , rear defroster on and dashboard fan on full. The lead acid battery may be damaged from being run down like that so you may want to get a new battery. Costco has a lifetime battery warranty if you turn in the battery more often than once every 3 years.

the date of your battery is on the top of the battery on "knock-out" dates...batteries degrade 10% per year..that is to say it's ability to accept a charge degrades 10% per year (according to one expert)~

115

Cleaned all the battery connections, so that is not an issue. How do you check the alternator output with the volt meter? Thank you.

get a new battery....you need one every five years these days...they aren't made from poisonous lead anymore, but a Tin/Antimony alloy~

25,305

I'd take it to a shop that can test your charging system properly. They can test the Battery, Alternator, Alternator Diodes and Voltage draw very quickly and accurately. The best alternative to a diagnosis is to throw money at it until you either fix it or go broke.

boneyard unit=$25....there are ways to go cheap...if this is your beater car~

150

It is the accessory relay (NOT the accessory delay relay). On the 2004 Ford Escape, it is to the right of the fuses in the fuse box by the driver's side seat. I bought Standard V13081 RY612. It cost me $15.61 with tax. It's been three days and all is well so far.

2.5 amp draw. after market seat heater's not on ignition circuit and can be left on.