Two related questions, one for the windshield wiper the other is the windshield washer

35

Asked by Jun 15, 2012 at 02:36 PM about the 2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

Recently the lower 2 speeds of the windshield wiper quit working, only speed I have is fast. Also the windshield washer no longer worked. The dealer and an independent repair shop both said the wiper motor needs to be replaced; at a cost of just under $500.00. As of now I have not replaced it.

Then a few weeks later, while driving, the windshield washer started spraying water on the windshield (it turned on by itself) and the wipers came on, the lower speed. Problem is that instead of spraying water for a few moments then turn off, the washer kept spraying. I tried to turn both the wipers and washer off, but to no avail, they would not turn off.

After perhaps 30 or more seconds, the wipers stopped but the sprayer stayed on. Eventually the water in the windshield washer reservoir ran dry but the motor that operates the sprayer stayed on for several more minuets then stopped. When I tried the wipers again, only the high speed worked and not the lower speeds. Also, every few minutes or so, the sprayer motor would start up and run for a minute or so and then stop.

My question is; how to disconnect power to the windshield sprayer motor (temporarily until I figure out the problem) and other question is about the wiper motor. Does the motor really need replaced or is it perhaps the switch which operates the wipers and washer that needs replaced or repaired?

Thanks

17,960

Your problem seems to be in the switch on the dash, not the motor. As power is being supplied to the motor and pump when the switch is in the off position.

315

I agree with OJ,it seems to Me You have a problem in Your multi function switch that controls Your wipers and washer fluid.

35

OJ and Raymond, many thanks for your feedback. I was thinking along the same lines, if no more than the process of logic. Now to figure out how to dissemble the switch from the stearing column. Thanks again.

17,960

Gary: If the switch is on the steering column as you state, make sure to disconnect the battery BEFORE doing any removal. An accidential short curcuit could lead to a mouthful of airbag in your face. And it's expensive for a new one.

17,960

YOu're in luck Gary. There is U-tube video on the net of a mechanic going through the process of changing the switch on an 05. It's about ten minute long. Plug "2005 crown victoria wiper switch removal" into your search engine and it's up near the top.

35

To all who answered....."Many Thanks". I'm pointed in the right direction now, especially after seeing the U-tube video of not only how to remove, but most important how to test if the problem is in the switch or motor...and yes thanks for the advise about disconnecting the batter post. Garybo

20

auto salvage yards will have what you need at a fraction of the price of new. they have a warrenty and have checked out these parts before they sell them. hope i have helped you.

id say replace the motor I'm having a similar problem and i already replaced the multifunction switch just to find out that its the brand new motor(witch is rebuilt and defective) that i just put on. so this is my third motor i put on. I've read another post about the same problem and it seems to be very common. the two mechanics were right, you can find a wiper motor for 100-125 be prepared to change it several times and check the washer fluid motor and wipers before you reassemble it . I'm sure you've figured it out by now I'm just trying to help someone else out who may be reading.