2004 crown vic it will not start

Asked by Jun 09, 2017 at 10:44 PM about the 2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX

the first problem clicking was not the temp blend actuator discounted the line to it still had clicking , battery almost dead recharged battery no clicking. good try but nu bull eye thanks. here is a new one car will not start after rain a few days, almost starts with starter spray in the old days  all you needed was a new dist. cap the old one has a hairline crack. this car I can't find a dist. cap What on this car will be effected by damp weather like the good  old dist. cap? any help with this will be a big help , the other problem was a learning ex.

73,845

Try spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body to see if it fires up. If it does then there is a fuel pressure issue. Fuel pressure would need to be checked to verify. Also make sure you have a nice white spark to eliminate the ignition system.

good try but no gold star , when 2 days dry it starts up fine and runs great . like I said in the old days 1960, 70, 80 cars had distributors made out of something like bakealite (spelled wrong) if you have a hairline crack the car would not start until you have dry weather. 2004 crown vic. has no distributor cap that I can find if I could find what the new cars use in place of a distributor that should fix it. like I said it is not a regular problem it has to do with rain and electrical system (starting) please try again I am not use to the new system and do not know where all the parts are. thanks again for trying , please try again.

73,845

There is not much to check on this ignition system. I don't see a coil pack listed for this vehicle so you must have coil on plug set-up. You could pull each coil and check the boots and the contact spring inside each coil boot. I can't see all the coils going bad, usually just one or two, but then there would be a miss in the engine. One other trouble spot would be the crankshaft sensor. If corrosion or some other phenomenon is happening under the mounting surface of the sensor, it creates more of a air gap to the reluctor, making it hard to start. Or the crankshaft sensor itself. But I would check out the coil boots, and coils themselves can be tested at an auto parts store. Also may want to check the connection on the ECM, may be corroded a bit and just removing the connector and reconnecting it scrapes the terminals enough to make a better connection. The signal to the coils come from the ECM.

after rain the engine turns-over with no results at all. when 2 days without rain go by just turn the key and starts first try, will the ECM be effected by wet weather and it seems cause no spark at all but as soon as the weather clears up one or two days starts first try? seems to me the ecm should be weather tight? looks like getting close to the right answer. waiting for your answer ,thanks.

73,845

So, what have you done for checking things out? Sorry not able to be here all day as I go to work, I work all different hrs. However you need to hook up a scan tool and check it for diagnostic trouble codes. It could have a code stored that would send you in another direction. If the scan tool will not communicate with the scan tool you could have a bad PCM, (ECM). Make sure all the powers and grounds are good to the PCM. If they are it's time for a new one. I will get back on this early evening.

ecm is inside car , I am having a hard time connecting this to the problem . I am still look for anything I can find it only has a problem after it rains one or 2 days latter it runs great . I have check in to getting a scan tool. I don't know how the crankshaft sensor could effect the engine from starting. Its like there is no spark the same thing happens in wet weather and a distributor with a hair line crack would act. I am retired and spend what ever time I can trying to come with an answer , the car of the 60's where easier to fix . I still lean toward some sort of hair line crack in something to do with the elec. system that shorts out the spark . the next rain I am going to check for spark. but I am going to look into getting a scan tool thanks will keep you in loop this is driving me up a wall. this is not my main car. as of now the car start no need to use the gas pedal.

73,845

Just things to check are what I have mentioned, Like you say tho about the moisture, so it gotta be electrical, just different things to look at than from the old days...lol