Ford Crown Vic with rear main seal leak

Asked by Feb 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM about the 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX

My 2002 Ford Crown Vic (not PI) with 131k miles has always been good to me, but it's beginning to nickel-and- dime me a bit, but nothing serious. It has developed an oil leak, what I am pretty sure is the rear main crank seal. It's dripping from front of bell-housing, and it's definitely motor oil, not tranny fluid.  I looked at a site for replacement procedure, and it says something about after dropping transmission and flex plate to "remove oil slinger from crankshaft"  What is that? And is this something I can do in my garage? I have a mediocre set of tools and have some mechanical experience. Or would I be better off just having it done..I have not shopped around for costs except one shop that told me he doesn't know because it might need a main bearing too and won't know until he gets it apart. Or am I way off and that is not where the leak even is? Thanks for any advice

Check your valve covers first, sometime the leak down along the engine looking like a rear main. My Mustang has been leaking at the rear main for a decade, but your right, you need to remove the trans to replace it.

Best Answer

Thank You, good idea. Will try that. But do you know what this 'oil slinger' is?

I'm don't know what an oil slinger is but I once for a while had a Ford with a 351W, and it had spline grooves on each end of the crankshaft, that pumped the oil away from the seal back toward crankcase, pan. It leaked from both ends from day one new--- Ford put seals on it FOUR times, still leaked. Finally somebody figured out the it had the wrong crankshaft from the factory, the crank was for a 351 but meant for a marine application, and for whatever reason the marine engines turn backwards, the opposite direction, and the spline grooves were pushing the oil OUT. But I know, this does not answer you, the grooves are machined on the crank, and can't be removed. That's slinger is a new one on me.

Charles L Rogers Sr

The only oil slinger I know of is the one on the front of the motor, it is behind the timing gear on the crankshaft & "slings" oil up onto the gears & chain. There's no "slinger" on the rear of the crankshaft.