Why crown Vic sag in rear

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 03:42 AM about the 1996 Ford Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

Some Crown Victoria's were sold in the mid and late 90's in to the 2000's with the air ride package, like on the Town Cars ans other Lincoln's. I bet you have air ride, right? With a compressor you can hear buzz once in a while, and a switch in the trunk to turn it off? Then you have a leak in the air bladder(s) and the compressor can't keep up. Now, either it's that or I am way off base and you have a broken coil spring or 2

8,045

The first question is whether or not the car has the automatic load leveling system. If it does, there will be a rocker switch in the right rear quarter of the trunk. If the switch is there, make sure it is turned on. If it is off, turning it on, and starting the car, you should hear the compressor kick in and the rear of the car will raise to normal ride height. ALWAYS turn that off if you have the car jacked up such as when changing a tire. If you don't you will blow the system, and that is expensive. If there is a switch and it is already on, check the fuse panel. It may have a blown fuse. Other than that, the compressor could be broken, or the system damaged some other way. If there is no switch, sagging is caused by weak springs. They are not expensive to replace, and MOOG Cargo Coil springs work really well. When you have to change the shock absorbers (dampers), use the Ford high pressure gas shocks. They are under $40 each, and you will have them in hand over night. They are calibrated correctly for which ever of the suspension packages you have.

6,195

If it is not equipped with air springs, the coil springs in the panther platform cars from those years were deplorable. They all wore out around 60-100,000 miles and were way too soft for such heavy cars.

8,045

Joef: That depends. There were several different suspension packages under the Panthers, and they were separate from the automatic leveling system. I have always recommended getting the heavy duty trailer towing package springs if you can find them. The MOOG Cargo Coils are a variable rate that work exceptionally well, which is why I suggest them.