92 crown vic: Brakes apply themselves while driving at all speeds and conditons. Should I worry?

25

Asked by Sep 21, 2007 at 07:29 PM about the 1992 Ford Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

I purchased a 92 crown vic a couple of months ago. It is still in good shape. The brakes have been coming on by themselves at times. For instance, going down the freeway at 70 mph, starting out in the morning.
Seems to be happening at random times. I thought maybe it may have something to do with the cruise control, but it happens at all speeds with it on or off. Any resolutions?

1,215

im not saying you do but im thinking you have a short in your a,b,s systom if you have no a.b.s i would contact your closest catholic preast to get rid of the poltriguist living in your car!!!!

5,155

Crown Vics had serious cruise control issues with it coming on and taking over even when it was in the off position. Generally they came on and went to full throttle on their own. I've never heard of your symptoms. How hard is the braking? If its just lightly, your might want to have your brakes adjusted and the fluid flushed.

1,255

It could be an ABS problem ( anti lock brakes ) , but , usually the opposite happens.....vehicle will not stop. It could be that the ABS pump is being activated and creating line pressure and causing the brakes to apply. I would suggest taking it in for diagnosis , have the brake system fully inspected , including checking the ABS for any trouble codes ( if equipped with ABS )

35

This was a really common problem with the ABS equipped crown victorias, by any chance is your's an ex police car? you might need to bleed the brake lines there might be too much pressure