how long does it take ti install a fuel pump on a 1998 ford contour svt

Asked by Feb 09, 2010 at 12:45 PM about the 1998 Ford Contour SVT 4 Dr STD Sedan

265

A little late to reply! But if any one else cares it only takes about 30 mins. Remove the back seat by pushing down and back to release the front spring clips to lift the rear seat up, then you will see a large rubber boot with wires running into it in the middle of the floorboard under the seat so go ahead and remove it, and there is the fuel pump retainer. Remove the retainer, detach the wire harness, and extract the fuel pump. Reassamble in reverse order and you are finsihed!

DO NOT ATEMPENT to do this job yourself,the gas tank has to be removed,it is a very dangorgus job,take it to a mechanic to fix,you may be looking at a couple hundred bucks to do this job,you can get killed if you dont know about this job,it is also dangerous for the mechanic.

265

Hello! I am a technician and on 90% of all moderen cars since 1990 have some sort of a access cover on the floorboard that can be removed underneight the back seat to gain entry to the top of the gas tank thus removing the fuel pump; especially Fords.very easy! Just keep the doors open for ventilation and of course do not have a flammable ignition source nearby (such as smoking), and the danger level is greatly reduced to the point of nothing could occur. A 30 min. simple job. Gas tank WILL NOT have to be removed. Removing the gas tank is unessicary and would involving draining the fuel tank, unbolting the tank hangers, and dropping the heavy tank and is far more dangerous that as predescribe by the access under the rear seat.

265

By the way this is a pic of my 98 SVT Contour with the back seat up showing the cover removed and exposure of the fuel pump at the top of the tank!

4,275

You can do it from under the seat and it is fairly easy. However, if you are one of the lucky ones that had their pump overheat, you may need to remove and even replace the tank as some of the pumps overheated to the extent of melting and warping the top of the gas tank. Its rare, but I have seen it a couple times.

SORRY that was a bad one on me,did not see the year .

70

I can't figure out how to remove the sender unit, though. Like in your picture, mine is off center from the hole and on there TIGHT. Attempts to remove it with a drift punch (and avoid sparks) failed so I bought the Sender Unit Wrench but it is too large to fit in the access hole and open the cover unless the tank is dropped, or am I missing something? Also, I cannot for the life of me get those darn fuel lines off. They are on there tight as all heck and I have practically snapped the plastic off trying to pull up on them. (Yes, I released the clips first)

10

Seems like a common problem....your not the first person to have this problem.

70

snap the tabs out of the way and put 2 small screw drivers throught the holes and push down on the red ring and pull up on the fuel line.

20

I done a 1999 Ford Contour remove the fuel pump with no trouble I just had to make the hold abit bigger to get the pump out didn't have to take the tank down