Oil Gauge dropping to Zero

Asked by Nov 19, 2013 at 02:21 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Just the other day I noticed my oil pressure gauge at Zero, I pulled over, and turned off the taho for 15-20mins, then checked the oil.  The level is at full, and it's nice and clear as I had it changed about a month ago.  What is wrong.

3,665

oil pressure sending unit has probably gone bad.

11,815

Check to make sure your connections to the sending unit are tight. Then check for cracks or nicks in the wiring leading to the gauge.IF you do not find any lose connections and the wire is good, I'd try changing out the sending unit. Does your gauge work normal on start up? When does this disturbing reading occur? After the motor is warmed up, on acceleration, or driving on the highway on smooth roads or in town crossing RXR tracks? If it is on a bumpy road or going over a bump, it may indicate a lose wire. If all the above does not fix the problem, next will be to have the gauge itself checked. Make sure the wire to the gauge is secure also.

sounds like a bad oil pump too if the rest is ok

11,815

TTsinnie, have you found the problem yet?

60

PROBABLY going to be the oil pressure sensor. BUT it may be the oil pump going bad. My friend thought it was just a sensor and it was the pump going out. It cost him $8,000 for a new corvette engine,,, so be sure it is just a sensor.

11,815

If it is a 2013 Taho, it should be under warranty for the oil pump. Have the service writer look at it and make sure it is entirely covered under warranty. I agree it may be the oil sensor sending unit on a vehicle this new. Also if they just changed oil, use the reset button and see if that helps eliminate the issue. If you fixed it or got it corrected, let us know. It helps everyone all around.

10

how about when the oil pressure gauge goes up when i accelerate?

11,815

al5877. Goes up starting from where? The increase speed works the oil pump faster, so more oil is sent throughout the engine. This increases the pressure and the gauge should indicate it. More information on what you are wanting to know.

40

I have a 2005 Tahoe and it doing the same thing. Low oil light and low oil pressure at the gauge. I've replaced the oil pressure sending unit, looks like a small spark plug located in the back of the engine. It was a real pain in the a to replace this. Still doing the same thing. When I start the pressure is a 40 and driving around town the pressure drops to 3. It's at normal pressure when driving only. Any thoughts on the next parts to replace. Thanks.

11,815

phc77067, You should have your engine pressure tested for low pressure in the cylinders. Also have the oil checked for metal shavings and or other fluids An 11 year old engine, with unknown history may be tired and you have bearings wearing out. There is no maintain history so if you go way over the oil changing recommendation, you are pushing dirty oil through the engine. If you are meticulous in engine maintenance, it may be something else like a bad gauge? It is a pain to change the sensor but new ones have been known to fail when put in. For now, go to a 40 weight oil and add some additives like STP to thicken up the oil. It wouldn't hurt to change the oil and filter right away. Have the oil analyzed. Cam bearings also can go our and do what you describe.

11,815

I just found this posted on another person suffering from low oil pressure. He claims to be a GM tech and I'll pass it along. Woody: answered. I am a gm tech and I see this problem all the time. The 5.3 had a check valve in the oil pan that sticks from time to time especially on cold mornings.You must remove oil pan to replace it.It's called a pressure relief valve and there is a great utube video that's explains it and shows you how to do it without removing the pump. I hope this helps and if anyone else out there can cut and paste, it seems very helpful. JC

40

Great will try this. Thanks!