Driving on interstate car just shuts down.

Asked by Feb 01, 2017 at 08:57 PM about the 1993 Ford Probe STD

It's an SE trim but same engine as base. It will shut off as I'm driving, but after
it sits and cools down I can start it up again. It isn't the inertia switch and I was
thinking crankshaft position switch, but apparently the 93' model doesn't have
one for whatever reason. Next thing I will look into is the camshaft sensor. Any
other ideas of what may be causing this.

81,695

I'm thinking the Ignition Control Module. When they start to go bad the engine heat will affect it. When it cools down then it will start. They can be tested at an auto parts store.

Thanks for the response rowefast. Am I going in the right direction? I can't seem to find any ignition diagrams to find the control module

This is thosest thing I found under the but it's not what's showing up on parts stores

81,695

Yea that is the rotor, looks good on the top side, look into the hole underneath to make sure there is no carbon tracks. I need to know what size engine this is?

81,695

On second thought on the rotor after zooming in on it, it looks like it should be replaced.

81,695

Looks like on the Distributor Ignition Pickup the distributor would have to come out. If you replace both, which would be a good idea, make sure and mark the rotor location so you can plant the dizzy back in correctly. I'm looking at the prices of the components, and I see you can get a whole new distributor with everything in it for cheaper.

Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing the location of the ICM? I have the replacement part but I can't find it on the car.

I even called a Ford dealer parts department and they don't even have a diagram

And rowefast it's a 2.0L inline 4 cylinder

Had my neighbor come over to help me look tonight I think we found the part on my car, seems that the distributor is from a 90-92 model, here is the ICM I have

Vs the 93' ICM, no wonder I couldn't find it

81,695

Right! Sorry I had not ben here, I was snowmobiling all weekend. Fun stuff. So anyway, I hope your doing ok on this. See, that and the ignition pick-up is what is recommended to replace, and thats why I mentioned just purchasing a new distributor. It is a lot cheaper that way. Well let me know.

thanks for the advice, my ICM is a Mazda 626 which is $165 at oreilly auto parts(cheapest I found) I'll look around for a complete distributor

Won't even start up cold any more, last time it started it idled for 90 seconds, won't even fire up any more

I've been doing my research big time to get my heater up and running again. The (Mazda which is the engine in the 93' Ford probe) one I got from O'reilly was just slightly different: photo 1. Turns out what I have appears to be for the Mitsubishi J881 distributor which I found on eBay for under $50. Just ordered and will update status when I get it.

Mine

eBay from Mitsubishi

And this is how close the Mazda part from local part store was and I thought was right online

81,695

Yep, The J881 matches up with your original one. The O'Reilly part number being J888.

Still have the fuel cutoff light and no start. I'm going to rent a diagnostic tool this weekend. Considering. Replacing my start and ignition relays in the fuse box as well