93 Probe 4cyl transmission install trouble after clutch replaced

Asked by Nov 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM about the 1993 Ford Probe STD

I've installed many clutches over the years, and recently installed a new LUK clutch in my 93 Probe with 124K miles (replacing factory clutch).  I was able to remove the transmission without issue, installed new clutch kit, and had flywheel resurfaced.  When attempting to re-install the transmission, I just can't get it to slide in that last inch to mate with the engine!  I did not remove the intermediate shaft so I would have an alignment point, and it seems that something is stopping the intermediate shaft from seating... or the primary shaft/spindle from seating in the clutch and pilot bearing?  I have verified the clutch fits the spindle prior to install, and centered it as close as humanly possible using the included alignment tool.  I just cannot seem to figure out why it won't seat!  Is there something I'm missing or a trick to this?  

Does anyone have an idea? Does anyone actually exist on this forum? The transmission is still off the car because it is winter and too cold to work outside. As soon as the weather warms up, I'd like to get this car out of the garage an onto the road :)