1993 Ford Festiva will run fine for about 15-20 miles and will then start missing just like you were cutting the ignition switch on and off. What could be wrong?

Asked by Nov 23, 2014 at 08:47 PM about the 1993 Ford Festiva L

Replaced plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor button, fuel pump and changed fuel regulator and checked compression and changed fuel filter.  Still "jumping" and missing like you are cutting the key switch on and off.  I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.

6,845

hmm.. that is interesting. Doesn't sound like a ground issue to the engine because it would not crank. I say that because I had a weak ground to the strut tower passenger side and it would turn over when it was warm but not when it was cold and it would run okay but struggle on hills, etc. Anyways, when you turn it on, how well does it idle? I wonder if your idle air control valve is going? Sometimes they fail open and it sounds like you want to race at red lights. Sometimes they fail shut and stall. Is the CEL on? It might not be relevant, but is this an AT or MT?

It is MT. It idles just fine; no problem there. Not sure what CEL is - sorry! I'm also wondering if the ignition switch might be getting hot and losing power to the coil.

6,845

You can try wiggling the key while it is running to see if that is it.. Not much, just lightly back and forth. CEL is check engine light. Honestly, you might want to head over to wwwDOTfordfestivaDOTcom and make a new thread and let them know that Walth sent you for help. We are an awesome family and help out as much as possible. Unfortunately, I don't want to hold you up as I don't really know what you might be dealing with.