1993 ford festiva getting spark but won't run

95

Asked by Sep 18, 2012 at 09:58 PM about the 1993 Ford Festiva L

Car over heated and quit, we have replaced the head and gasket, thermostat, coil, distributor and cap,
spark plugs, spark plug wires.  We have the timing set up correctly and have checked the fuel relay
switch.  The car will spark but will not run.

6,105

Are the fuel lines connected correctly? And you're getting fuel? If you spray carb cleaner / starter fluid behind the passenger headlight at the air box snorkel for 1-2 seconds and try to start the car, if it starts and runs correctly for 2-4 seconds then your fuel is the issue. Your timing marks, cam gear is at 12 & 3 (tiny timing marks near edge) http://c.fixya.net/fixya20/uploads/Images/B5B35F0.png and the crank accessory pulley is at the T? If nothing changes, check www.fordfestiva.com - there are some awesome people and already a lot of info to help you out. I wish you the best!

6,105

I don't know if you figured it out or not.. but my 91 got a weak ground and acted like it was overheating, but it was sending current through the temp switch as an easier path. I found that my strut tower ground was the problem.. I had a no crank issue, but bump starting the car kept me going.

10

hi i had the same issue in my festiva i discover than the timing belt sprocket was off set from the camshaft i re do the timing belt using the key of the camshaft as a guide instead the timing marks of the sprocket and issue resolved , i apply some red tread lock to prevent the sprocket from getting off timing