I need to know what would be the best thing for my Festiva. A) swap the engine for a Mazda,B)rebuild it, C) buy a new ford Festiva engine?

30

Asked by Oct 09, 2013 at 01:46 PM about the 1993 Ford Festiva GL

I have a spun rod and not know what to do to fix it.

216,575

Bang for buck, your looking at picking up a used engine. $500-$1K. A remanufactured engine would make sense as well, which would cost $3K, but in a 1993 vehicle I wouldn't do it. Rebuilding and a new engine would cost too much. But being that the car is a 1993, I'd find a newer vehicle for the same moeny you would put into fixing yours.

22,435

Yeah - really, the vehicle has out-lived its useful life. No offense intended but unless you chan find a cheap replacement - it really isn't worth fixing. Sorry

5,815

Go to www.fordfestiva.com and register and ask if anyone is near you and able to help. I don't care what car or what year, saying that a car is a throwaway car is ignorant and absurd and is not helpful. Paying for this type of work is expensive. Unless you have the time, tools and know how or help, it will be costly. Check on the forum, I'm sure someone can help you or provide a low cost B3 to swap in.

Best Answer
22,435

Ignorant AND absurd. Haven't been in the car business long have you?

5,815

Don't troll. And I'm not in the car business.

30

I know I can't get the rebuild kit for 350

22,435

My point is that often, there's no point in pouring hard-earned cash into something that will continue to cost more hard- earned cash.

30

How is that gonna make me spend more money all I need is that kit right

22,435

I won't be following this thread any further: The vehicle is 20 years old with a very low market value. There are plenty of other things that can and will go wrong in the near future. Please forgive my "Troll" attitude but a 20 year old vehicle is a potential money pit.

5,815

I won't address Tracy since she's "not coming back".. This is a perfect scenario of why I suggest people check out car forums. My festiva has paid me back in the few years I've had it. Even after all the work and swaps I've done on it. Festiva78, I assume you may have some know- how on replacing/installing the engine once you get it? If you're looking into fixing this by buying the rebuild kit, etc. I would ask folks on the forum what they suggest in your situation, first. Then I would check RockAuto>1993 Ford Festiva 1.3>engine> master rebuild kit >> and you can get it with or without components. You'll get your parts directly from the distributor instead of a middleman. And I would check the price with components separate verses with, etc. RockAuto is awesome :) Keep in touch buddy.

50

Walth is telling you the truth. With gas mileage that beats hybrids the festiva pays you to drive it. With the average festiva lifespan of 300,000 miles you CAN justify throwing some money at the necessary repairs. FordFestiva.com is your best bet. You may find someone local to you with an engine. And to clarify from your original post, the stock Festiva engine IS a Mazda engine as are almost all of the components. If you are interested in engine upgrades all the answers are there as well. The festiva is the "total cost of operation" Champion of all time due to durability, ease of maintenance and repairs, and great gas mileage. Good luck.

30

Ok thanks you guys and I love this car it's my first one and its drifts like a champ. Il keep in touch walth

5,815

man.. it's been a while. How are you? I got a bump on a different old question and I was looking through and saw your name on there.