rear hatch

Asked by Jan 10, 2015 at 05:33 PM about the 1993 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

my rear hatch will not open after I put in the key and turn the handle to the right for it to open even though the glass one will open. someone backed into it but didn't do any damage to the metal even though they bent it in. It popped back out and didn't leave a dent under the the handle. also when I turn the handle it seems like the handle goes too far to the right now.  
the gate doesn't seem to be closed all the way now after I tried to open it. how can I fix this and  what could cause all od=f this?

5,185

There is damage to the linkage even you don't see any physical damage to the handle. Try to remove the upholstery from the inside to get to the latch mechanism and you can probably straighten what is wrong.

18,790

Some of the linkages from the handle to the striker on the side are nothing more than a glorified metal coat hanger. It may also connect via a plastic joint via a metal ball stud, like the strut which holds the hood open. If the handle turns to far then the rod disengaged allowing the handle to move further. Oldtimer made the proper suggestion to open the hatch.