please help me

30

Asked by Jun 08, 2013 at 08:23 PM about the 1993 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

i have a 1993 ford explorer xlt 4X4 and my front transmission seal is leaking and i need to
know how to replace the seal

well unfortunately will have to require the dis-assembly of the transmission...put it on your garage floor...the seals are hela- cheap...gettin' to them requires the enlistment of hairy brutus~

30

would you know the best way to get a assembly for repair and maintenance because i would like to know my ford explorer backwards what is your best opinion on a manual

25,315

The replacement of the Transmission Front Pump seal is very basic to Automotive repair. With a 4X4, you remove the drive lines, transfer case (you don't have to but it makes handling the transmission a little easier). A manual is your best bet for step-by-step instructions. Long story short, you have to pull the trans and the torque converter to get to the seal. A trick of the Trade: Use Vaseline to pack the inside of the seal (where the retainer spring is) in order to help retain the seal during installation. If the ring pops out and you don't know it, you'll have to do the job over again and you won't find out until its COMPLETELY back together and running!

get a place that has an overhead lift...take a look at what you gotta do...actually quite simple, speedometer, linkage and filler tube and electrical connector for back-up switch and neutral possibly, but not too many things to disconnect--- most basic and most popular truck out there the complication is with the transfer case takin' the forces and spittin' them into two,then spitting those into two...two differentials essentially~ getting an instruction manual could not hurt here...trickier with the 4wd 'cause the xfer case~

@Tracy cam you please elaborate more on the pump seal?

40

I Have The Same Problem With My 93 Ford Explorer 4x4 Eddie Bower. I Just Bought The Car Before Christmas. Guy I Paid $200 Bucks For It Told Me All Transmission Oil Just Drained Out. Well Had It Towed Home, Put Transmission Leak Seal In It And Fluid. Caught Gears Right Away. Been Driving Since Then..Almost 800 Miles on It With No Problem Till Now? Today I Noticed That There Was A Puddle Underneath And Been Running Rough. well Noticed It's Leaking From Bell Houseing. Well Now I Know I Have To Take Down That Big Boy 4x4 Tranny. Replacing Seal? What Fun. All In All I Got A Good Deal Was A Quick Fix. :)