My Duramax was starting great till yesterday. Went to start it and nothing. Not even a click..

Asked by May 01, 2014 at 09:52 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab SB HD 4WD

I noticed when I turned the key to start all the gauges would drop to zero like it was shut off. I plugged in a code reader and all it would do is say Error. I can get the starter to turn over by shorting out starter but it will not start. Any idea's

What is the voltage on the battery?

The new batteries today just quit, no waring or slow death, it is instantaneous. Have it checked. If it is good, charge it and have the alternator checked for output. Your dash gauges may tell you this once the truck is running. /Try jump starting it also. Next would be electronic checks and once your up and running, you may get an error reading on the code reader, hopefully. Years ago, the first computers wuld just up and die also, no warning so that may be the issue. Start with the battery and work up. The farther up you go, the more it costs to fix.

I checked voltage at Batteries, 1 dead the other 11.4 volts. Bought and installed new batteries. still the same problems.

I switched the big fuses for starter and ignition no difference. Gauges come up till you turn key to start then they drop off. I noticed that the fuel gauge doesn't move and it is reading empty but it had a half tank when I shut it off before it wouldn't turn over.

LPJ, I have the exact same problem. I put in a new ignition switch... same problem. I put in two new batteries... same problem. I switched the starter relay, in the big box under the hood, with another like relay... same problem. I might try a new PRNDL switch next. It is easy to replace... it is on the driver's side of the transmission. Perhaps related is the fact that my "check engine" light had been on and off for nearly a year, but mostly on recently (only use the truck once or twice a month). I never noticed any problem related to the check-engine light... until now.

Does anyone know how to contact LPJ directly via email or phone. Sure would appreciate being able to discuss this issue directly and quickly, as I am about to take m 2005 Duramax 2500 HD to a diesel repair shop... too scary. I hear too many horror stories about not only the cost, but the resultant additional problems caused by the shop.

I got my 2005 Duramax running like a top now. It ended up being the ECM. I took it to a back yard mechanic and he replaced the ECM with a used one from the wreckers and reprogramed it to the engine, Total cost $820.00.

The cost of a new ECM $1400.00 plus mechanic bill. My mechanic says the chances of having another problem with this is slim to nil.

Thank you so much. Sorry it took so long to get back to you... I was about to give up. What a relief. I just towed mine to a diesel shop for them to work on it on 10 Jun 14. I still have some time to get a new/rebuilt ECM and install it myself then cancel my appointment. I can do that... its a snap to replace it, but I am not sure about the reprograming part. I can buy one from car-parts dot com by giving them my VIN. I thought they reprogrammed it based upon the VIN before shipping the new one. Any thoughts along those lines??

LPJ, Could you do me a favor and email me your mechanics phone number and/or email address? I am not sure this blog site will transmit ph # or email addresses. You can email me at [[ piocon at tctwest dot net ]] Just put that in the normal email address format, if you would please... the blog site likely does not allow email addresses in standard format to be transmitted. I will certainly make it worth while for you or your mechanic to respond via email and help solve my problem. Thanks again for your valuable help.

when it drops in temp our truck don't start:( not even a click,it is plugged in but still don't start, when it warms up outside it starts right up,wth??????????????????

needs both batteries and 24v to start

My 2006 LZB has the same symptoms. Turn the key to start and the gauges fall back to zero. I put a starter button and the truck starts every time. The cost was about $15 to hook up the starter button.