2005 Chevy Duramax won't crank

120

Asked by May 09, 2013 at 07:27 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4 Dr STD Crew Cab SB HD

My 2005 Chevy 2500 HD won't start.  Engine won't turn over with key at all.  Batteries are hot.  You can take a power probe and shoot 12v to starter solenoid wire and it will crank and run fine.  I traced that wire back to the fuse panel under the hood on the driver's side.  There is a CRANK fuse as well as a starter relay in that panel.  When you turn the key to start, the fuse gets 12v but the starter relay is not getting voltage to the solenoid wire.   Also noticed that the tow/haul button isn't working and it was before the issue.  Any suggestions?

27,245

swap the relay with another in the box and see if the relay is the problem.

120

already tried that with no success.

97,115

"but the starter relay is not getting voltage to the solenoid wire." - Is there voltage present to fire the starter relay? Can you swap with another relay to see if the relay is good?

27,245

Is there voltage to the coil side of the relay?

120

The starter relay has 4 pins on it. One is constant 12v. The other 3 show ground. You can take a power probe to one pin (the one that is the wire going to the small wire on the actual starter solenoid) and the truck will crank. I have swapped the relays, but still has the same results

it's the Ground....It's always the ground...black cable off of battery's connections to frame/chassis is unable to pull the 300 CCA necessary to do the job, also the 1/0 cable going to your motorblock is necessary for to power up the startermotor and solenoid~...check the bolt on the positive side too what connects the cable to the solenoid too~

bad ground is like bad hooch...barely does the job....with complications~

27,245

It starts when you shoot start signal to it judge

Clarity of thought...clarity of power connections---

27,245

What grounds the relay? The pcm?

120

If it were a bad ground wouldn't it still not start when 12v is shot to the relay wire? May be wrong...Just asking. I also hooked a set of jumper cables from the ground side of the battery to the starter housing itself with same result

120

I am getting juice to the starter fuse with the key...but not the starter relay.

27,245

Yea it has power but ia power going through it? Something has to turn the relay on. Its not on all the time or else the truck would crank all the time

120

my thinking is the PRNDL switch not giving signal that the truck is in park. I have replaced it before, but when it messed up the last time the information center on the dash had a "range selector switch out of range" and now it does not. However, the tow/haul button is not working

120

No it is not going through it. I checked the wire on the bottom side and it is only getting voltage to the one (12v constant) wire

the amount of cold cranking amps is insufficient~ the other end of the black cable must be comfortable with three hundred amps!...this and the motorblock connection too----sounds like a wimpy sister is going in to do a MAN's job~

27,245

Its gonna need more than 300cca to crank a diesel judge. The problem here is its not gettin a start signal cca is irrelevant in this case.

....the starter switch....incredible~

contacts that are out on lunchbreak, when they show up are drunk...sounds like to me~

270

BoonStewart, I have an identical problem with my 2005 Duramax. What did you find was the problem?? Sure would appreciate some feedback. Thanks. Glen

70

My 203 3500 Chevy Duramax engine will not turn over it was working fine then on morning it's not. I have replace both batteries and put a new starter and new starter relay all fuses are good but it still will not turn over. Has any one had the problem and if so what was the fix?

10

starter needs 24 volts to turn

70

Transmission mogul will keep the engine from cranking over. Just replaced mine.

30

The ignition switch malfuntions and triggers a security problem and will sometimes blow fuses and then reset security and they will start. It stops signal to starter

40

Connect a wire to one of the pegs of the transmission control module TCM (its that square thing on the back of the radiator top driver's side, that has all the aluminum pegs on it) and the other end of the wire, to a ground source. Try cranking the motor. If it does, the TCM has been damaged by coming into contact with 12 volts. Some other symptoms of a bad TCM are the dash does not display PRNDL transmission positions and often a brake trouble light will appear.

Mine just started the same thing and my prndl don't show up on the dash

20

My 05 duramax isn't starting when I turn the key over it immediately blows a 40 amp fuse. Then my service 4wd light comes on. Iv waited a while and put another one in it and it would start go a couple days then blow it again... Help please!?

I had this problem, engine would not crank and blowing the 40 amp fuse. Solution for me was the purple start wire to the solenoid had burned and shorted to the exhaust manifold near the power steering pump. I removed harness from the starter back until I got to the bad spot and repaired and rerouted the wire so it would not burn again. Remove wheel and wheelwe'll to get to starter. 2008 duramax