sometimes it starts sometimes it don't is there an easy answer?

25

Asked by Dec 09, 2006 at 04:54 PM about the 1993 Ford Bronco STD 4WD

When I first purchased this Bronco and started driving it home every thing was A-1. I noticed it needed fuel so i pulled into a filling station and filled it up. When i was ready to leave it wouldn't start, after cranking for a while i realized it wasn't going to start, so i pushed it out of the way and started checking it out. It had spark so I figured it was gas but being on the road with no tools i figured i would call a ford dealer and see if they could and would help, while i was looking one up my brother came up and told me it had started, so i drove it on home (about 300 miles) with no problems. It has done this 2 or 3 times since and i haven't done anything about it untill now. Any ideas?
Thank you much
John Larson

8,285

If you have spark it could be several things. You could have an electrical wire shorting out, it could be the fuel injectors, or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Here is a link that will tell you how to check your fuel system: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fuelsystem.html

19,415

Check your connectors on the drivers side fender well under the hood.. These are bad about corrosion and will cause engine miss,shut off and restart and no start.

listen to tuff44 fords are especially funny about power supply/ground issues first step in diagnosis of ANY starting or driveability issues

bad crank sensor,when hot it wont start,when it cools down it will start.or you need to replace the fuel filter.

185

I have a similar ongoing sporadic, random problem with my 1996 5.8L Bronco. Once in a blue moon it will not start when it's warm. Most of the time it runs just fine. I spent $220.00 for a diagnostic test at a shop. Results were "Fuel Pump". I replace the fuel pump myself and it worked great for about 4 days....then it happened all over again. I replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump relay switch, the coil, new battery, new alternator and even replace the EGR pressure differential sensor near the throttle body. Since then it has been working great for 3 whole weeks. Today.....it was slow to start cold in the garage. I got to work after it was hot and tried to restart it. To my surprise it started. I went out to start the vehicle 20 minutes later and it just cranked and cranked with no light off. I got mad, closed the door and walked away. I returned 5 minutes later and when I sat down in the seat the truck rocked forward a light bit and stopped. Not sure what cause that but once I tried again, it fired right back up 3X in a row no problems.....I love my 96 Bronco but this thing is driving me crazy! I hope that it is a ground issue. All of the posts I have seen if all other components have been replaced seem to lean towards the importance of grounds. I'm going to give it a thorough look over.