power window won't go up

Asked by Mar 19, 2012 at 09:19 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab RWD

As I was loweringhte window, it got to about 1/2 inch fromthe bottom and I head a snap.  Window stopped.  I can hear the motor working.  Sounds like I snapped a cable.  How hard is this to repair (what is involved - other than removing the door panel and such)?

525

I had a '99 1500 & had to replace both regulators. I believe they are the same design, & fairly easy to change. first, pull the switch panel up off the armrest area, they just clip on & you wont break them. Then, pull the panel trim off around the door handle & remove the small bolt, I believe there are 2 total on the panel, but can't remember for sure as it's been awhile. Pop the plastic pin-type door clips straight out from the door, toward you, then make sure you LIFT the panel up after you pop the plastic panel clips loose as you can break the hook type catches on the lower portion of the door panel. I tried to pull mine straight out & cracked one & had to epoxy it back on. As far as the regulator goes, you have to loosen the two bolts on the window track that hold the glass to the track, it is best to push the window out of the track, all the way closed & wedge it there or tape it to the top door post so it gives you room to remove the regulator. Make sure the window doesn't fall! Then there are 4 bolts-10mm heads, I believe 2 on each vertical track, remove those bolts then fold the tracks toward each other, the regulator cables will criss-cross and you can pull the regulator out through the cut out of the door structure. Insert the new regulator in the same fashion as you pulled the old one out, folded inward, then you can straighten them & position the tracks to line up bolt holes. Re-install the 4 bolts, then lower the glass back into the track clamps that hold it into the track, tighten those bolts(2) snuggly. You can hook the power switch up to the wiring before you re-assemble the whole door panel, so you can test the new regulator, plus you might have to re-position it to get the 2 window mnt bolts tightened as there is limited space to get at the bolts. It's been about 10 yrs since I changed mine, I hope I'm remembering right! P.S. go on ebay & buy your regulators as they are almost $100 cheaper than the Dealer price & the aftermarket one's have been improved & are built better than the originals. I'd buy one for the opposite door also, as it will follow suit, usually in about 6-8 mo's.! Hope this helps!