How to get the front wheel bearings off after it was heated on. 1993 ford aerostar minivan.

Suzanne Gallentine

Asked by Jan 29, 2015 at 01:51 PM about the 1993 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XL Passenger Van

Wow, a Ford Aerostar that is still running? Bearings are not heated on per se but rather pressed in. You can either knock them out with a hammer or press them out assuming you remove the spindles. You can do it with a good vice. I would guess that you will need new brake rotors if you try that because those are probably shot as well. How do you know you need new wheel bearings? Any vehicle that old is going to have some issues with brake dust and rust. Put the car up on jacks and try shaking the wheels. If there is any play then you do need new bearings. If so and you have a good vice, then get a 2x2 and start pounding the old bearings and race out. You can use the vice to press the new bearings in.

Suzanne Gallentine

The bearings blew up or something so when I took them out and tried to put on new ones there is something stuck on the shaft, I'm assuming it is something from the bearings. But I cant get the new bearings on without first getting the other one off. And yes a 1993 ford aerostar is still running, very well.