1994 Ford Thunderbird rear end problem

Asked by Jul 05, 2014 at 12:51 PM about the 1994 Ford Thunderbird LX

the rear end of my 1994 ford thunderbird is swaying from one side to the other, almost to
the point that I can hear the body of my car hit the left(tire?)and then sway to the right and
feels like it's hitting something(tire?) But it sounds awful and is very scary because it
sways and hits the side to side, banging each side. What could this be???

I advise to jack car up and take a look under there. With this kind of movement you should be able to visually see whats wrong.

if you are riding in the car behind my car driving, you can actually see the rear end of it go from left to right, not the tires, just the body(backend) of it

With your added information, dandy is still correct. I advise to check your rear shock mounts and springs, I suspecting something rusted and broke. If one side is broken and your replacing a rear shock, it is advisable to replace in pairs. Please do not drive the car in this condition.

I would keep driving it to a minimum. Have shocks, sway bar, sway bar links and all attaching hardware inspected. You should find the issue in one of these areas.