What would cause the front brakes to seize up even after you have new rotors, new calipers, new brake pads, new lines and a new master cylinder installed? Could it be the ABS pump or ABS module?

Asked by Jul 06, 2017 at 09:06 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD

I recently had new rotors, pads, rebuilt calipers, new brake lines and new
master cylinder installed on the front wheels of my 2005 Silverado Z71 4X4. I
also had new drums and brake shoes installed on the rear. Lines flushed
twice and bled properly. Now my front brakes are sticking again and even
more so than before the work was done. Could it be the ABS pump, ABS
module or a computer programming problem?

Was the fluid completely flushed? If not that is recommended and if you do I suggest going to full synthetic brake fluid.

Did you do the work yourself? Did you properly lubricate the slide pins with the proper silicone brake grease? Did you properly inspect the front brake hoses? Did you check to see that the master cylinder is the correct one for the vehicle? Did you check or adjust the rod that actuates the master cylinder to make sure it is not applying the brakes constantly?

Answering both responses. Yes, the fluid was completely flushed twice. I did not do the work myself. A national chain has done the work. They are great guys but after spending 1900.00 so far, I'm concerned. To be fair, all of the components that have been replaced/rebuilt were in need. It is a work truck with 140k miles with a lot of town driving.

After checking this website, it seems that I'm hardly alone in my problem. Thanks to all the fine folks that go out of their way to help us find some answers. I've read about Speed Sensor shims and flexible brake tubing as possible culprits. I will speak with my mechanic ASAP!!!!

I have seen brake hoses cause a locking effect but usually only on one wheel not both, I have never had any problem with the speed sensors needing shims, but I guess there is a first for everything.

I just remembered a problem i had with a rig, everytime the brakes were kicked into anti lock the anti lock motor would not shut off, i traced it down to the relay, it would stick, shut the engine off it dropped out only to do it all over again. Might not have anything to do with your problem but worth looking into.

I have 2006 of same truck and had same issue. If you have been adding brake fluid over the past year, pop the hose off the booster. Check in there and see if you see fluid in the bottom. I had this on mine, so replaced booster, master (leaking in booster), new pads and calipers as they roasted on mine. Flushed all the lines and been working great.

'05 GMC, Here's what my issues was. Vin # was traced to problem batch where the master cylinder bled into the booster. It was found on a "bulletin board" site that dealers use. It diagnosed the issue, butit was such a small group that it didn't qualify as a recall, and the commonality usually happened after 80,000 miles. $1100 worth of work. Been over a year, no issues since. Still unhappy about this one.

05 Silverado.. I had the same problem with the fronts locking up after driving a few miles and not even applying them on long stretches after having replaced pads,shoes, wheel cylinders, front calipers,hoses and master cylinder. Flushed lines completely twice. Checked booster by removing vacuum line and using long nylon pull tie as a dipstick to verify there was no fluid present as others have noted. After reading many blogs and the mention of possible ABS problems without the light on I removed the ABS fuse, drove about 5 miles and the brakes were locking up and cool. Replaced the fuse and drove another 5 miles, braking alot and letting the truck come to a natural stop in neutral to see if it was still partially locking up and there was no indication of it locking up. Felt the fronts and there were not hot as they were earlier in the day when I drove it just a short distance. Would let it come to a normal stop coasting in neutral with no indication of a problem. Even stopped on slight inclines and it would then roll backwards after coming to a stop. Have not had the problem since and feel more could get the same results should they try this. Wish I had of thought of it or read it somewhere long ago to save myself alot of frustration. Hopefully others will benefit.

pullitmans is this a continued fix? i am having the same issues. Does it reset the ABS somehow?